Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyones speedo hiting the tank.?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 07:40 AM
wingman1946
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kahaone
Although I always use the lower trees to strap to, I don't get this?? If he strapped to the handle bars as he said, it still shouldn't have hit the tank. The bars and risers do not move independantly from the tank. If the bars move downward, then the tank also moves downward. If not, then the bars would hit the tank every time you hit a large bump in the road.
I can't see how strapping it down, if done properly, would cause the speedo to hit the tank??
I agree. I have hauled mine (using the bars) and nothing hit the tank.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:33 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by wingman1946
I agree. I have hauled mine (using the bars) and nothing hit the tank.
I agree, the only thing I can figure is that his bike is pre 04 and I believe the non rubber mount bikes use riser bushings and that could allow the riser/bar assemble to flex if drawn down too tight.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:50 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by cHarley
I agree, the only thing I can figure is that his bike is pre 04 and I believe the non rubber mount bikes use riser bushings and that could allow the riser/bar assemble to flex if drawn down too tight.
His bike is a 95th aniverssary edition, which makes it a '98 model. The bars sit atop a set of 3" risers, the risers are mounted to the top tree in rubber bushings. If those bushings are worn out or if the risers are even barely loose, the bars will be pulled down toward the tank if they are pulled hard enough. There ain't a bunch of room there to begin with. That's the reason I suggested checking the bushings, his bike is 11 years old and the bushings COULD need to be replaced. Did that answer your questions?

Old 06-17-2009, 01:09 PM
3rdgear
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zimbob
His bike is a 95th aniverssary edition, which makes it a '98 model. The bars sit atop a set of 3" risers, the risers are mounted to the top tree in rubber bushings. If those bushings are worn out or if the risers are even barely loose, the bars will be pulled down toward the tank if they are pulled hard enough. There ain't a bunch of room there to begin with. That's the reason I suggested checking the bushings, his bike is 11 years old and the bushings COULD need to be replaced. Did that answer your questions?

You are correct sir.. I went home and started looking at it and the bushings are pretty warn.. I ordered some last night and they should hopefully be here friday.. as you said there is only about 1/2" between the speedo and tank to begin with.. and with them being worn it is causing too much play in it and therefore when I strapped it down it had enough play to cause my speedo to hit the tank..

Old 06-17-2009, 10:43 PM
gilmour68
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kahaone
Although I always use the lower trees to strap to, I don't get this?? If he strapped to the handle bars as he said, it still shouldn't have hit the tank. The bars and risers do not move independantly from the tank. If the bars move downward, then the tank also moves downward. If not, then the bars would hit the tank every time you hit a large bump in the road.
I can't see how strapping it down, if done properly, would cause the speedo to hit the tank??

"His bike is a 95th aniverssary edition, which makes it a '98 model. The bars sit atop a set of 3" risers, the risers are mounted to the top tree in rubber bushings. If those bushings are worn out or if the risers are even barely loose, the bars will be pulled down toward the tank if they are pulled hard enough. There ain't a bunch of room there to begin with. That's the reason I suggested checking the bushings, his bike is 11 years old and the bushings COULD need to be replaced. Did that answer your questions?"

"You are correct sir.. I went home and started looking at it and the bushings are pretty warn.. I ordered some last night and they should hopefully be here friday.. as you said there is only about 1/2" between the speedo and tank to begin with.. and with them being worn it is causing too much play in it and therefore when I strapped it down it had enough play to cause my speedo to hit the tank.."

OK, I see how that might have caused the damage.

Last edited by gilmour68; 06-17-2009 at 10:47 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:02 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad you found the problem, too bad it tattoed your tank, look at it this way, your scoot was telling you it needed help and didn't want you to get hurt.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:18 AM
3rdgear
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah.. that and it wants some new paint on it..

Im thinking black and electric blue.. glad I have some spare tins laying around..