Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Height vs. Mid-Mount Controls on Nightster

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 02:01 AM
PermanentNightster
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Height vs. Mid-Mount Controls on Nightster

Alright so here I am in Iraq until August / September... my brand new 09 Nightster I ordered is sitting there waiting for me to pick her up at the Fairbanks, AK dealership. Depressing I know, I have the bike... and yet... still stuck here dodging hand grenades and IED's. ANYWAY, I've been slowly narrowing down custom parts and mods and what not so I can get back, install em and have my bike good to go (in an ideal world).

Today my question is about mid controls vs forward controls. I'm 6'0 185lbs and I'm THINKING mid-controls will probably be fine but seeing as I don't actually have a bike to sit on I was hoping for some of your experiences and what not.

Thanks!

Old 06-14-2009, 02:21 AM
icecaps
Reading More Posting Less
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make the decision on Mid/Forward based on your riding style and comfort. There's no formula for X tall equals ___ controls. Highly individual choice best made with riding. Internet opinions are going to be .... well ... internet opinions.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:33 AM
agm1563
Tourer

Originally Posted by PermanentNightster
Alright so here I am in Iraq until August / September... my brand new 09 Nightster I ordered is sitting there waiting for me to pick her up at the Fairbanks, AK dealership. Depressing I know, I have the bike... and yet... still stuck here dodging hand grenades and IED's.
I know it sucks, I have to wait to get back to the states too. I'm in Korea but I know how you feel on having to wait to get your bike. If I was smart I would have gone through AAFES when I was in Iraq instead of Korea. I could have done it from month 1 in Iraq and could have put a lot towards it by the end of month 15. Oh well, I'll know next time when I get deployed and want a bike or car. But the next few months will fly by faster than you know.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:48 AM
PermanentNightster
Advanced

Originally Posted by agm1563
I know it sucks, I have to wait to get back to the states too. I'm in Korea but I know how you feel on having to wait to get your bike. If I was smart I would have gone through AAFES when I was in Iraq instead of Korea. I could have done it from month 1 in Iraq and could have put a lot towards it by the end of month 15. Oh well, I'll know next time when I get deployed and want a bike or car. But the next few months will fly by faster than you know.
Oh yeah I know it, this is deployment number 2 for me. I was with the 172nd last time... our 12 month tour in Mosul got extended to 16 months and we moved to baghdad. That SUCKED and I didn't get my bike then like I should have... 16 months and I had nothing to show for it. First thing I did when I got to Kuwait was visit Aafes and order it. I just can't WAIT to get on my bike. Sadly though I'm stationed in Alaska and will only have a couple of WEEKS to ride once I get back. Thus my desire to get everything ordered and ready to put on now.

And to Icecaps... yeah I know its all relative and personal choices. Just trying to get a feel from what other people have experienced ya know.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:50 AM
agm1563
Tourer

I went home on leave with having 3 months left... got back and was told we now had 6. We started off in Kirkuk, then went to Tal Afar, and I spent a few months in Mosul. I want to go again, having a year off was good enough for me, but I'm going to a non-deployable unit at Polk. I'm aviation and they have Lacota's and Huey's there. I'm going to try to get to a unti that deploys ASAP for my next duty station.

Last edited by agm1563; 06-14-2009 at 04:53 AM.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:06 AM
BradNailer
Cruiser

I'm 6 foot and 195lbs and I've got mid controls. I think I have better control with the pegs underneath me. In a manuever involving weight-shift you need to be able to push on your pegs. You can't do that (as effectively) with forwards. I don't feel cramped for space or otherwise encumbered either.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:20 AM
FunkyFungus
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 6'0 220 and really like my mids.

fF

Old 06-14-2009, 08:13 AM
PermanentNightster
Advanced

Glad to hear it. The guy at the Aafes sales place was trying to tell me there's no way I'd be happy on a sporty without them.... so it had me nervous. I'm thinking for now I'll scratch forward controls off of my "to buy" list and stick with the mids until either a) they hurt me or b) well... I don't know why else I'd change em.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:24 AM
BWLucky13
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your height is not a good measurement to determine which peg location will work best. Some people have legs like stilts and a short torso, while others are just the reverse. I fit in the second group, so the mid controls are perfect. It doesn't matter what other people recommend, only you will be able decide which saddle/control setup works best.

You picked a great bike. Enjoy the ride.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:30 AM
PermanentNightster
Advanced

hmm good point.

Maybe I should add 32" inseam length... I know nothing is nearly as accurate as taking the scoot out and getting a feel for it yourself... I'm just getting damn impatient out here in the desert sun and, having already started buying mods and what not... I find myself wondering about the controls...

Quick Reply: Height vs. Mid-Mount Controls on Nightster