Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

nightster wont start....wtf

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 06:51 PM
anthayden24
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok....got it started (while it was connected to the charger). the fuel injector made a weird sound when i switched it from off to "run" though. unhooked the charger and the motorcycle stayed on (suprisingly). rode it for about 2 miles around the neighborhood, came back to the house and turned it off. tried to start it again and....nothing. no clue, but it seems as though this battery for some reason is not holding a charge at all. i really wanted to ride this weekend too!

Old 06-12-2009, 07:19 PM
anthayden24
Advanced

new update....

cleaned off all the fuses and fuses box. got it started and rode around the block. halfway through my check engine light AND my battery light came on.

im clueless...guess im gonna have to shell out more $$ to my HD dealership to figure out wtf is wrong

Old 06-12-2009, 07:35 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 241 Posts

I don't have any new advice, just wanted to say good luck...Keep us updated.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:49 PM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

dude you gotta get a voltmeter.i could guess at this and that but you never really know unless you get a voltmeter.it makes everything so much easier.good luck

Old 06-12-2009, 08:14 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,272 Likes on 476 Posts

Have you looked at the code left by the check engine light? Somewhere on here are instructions, but here's how to get the code out:

1) Turn IGNITION SWITCH to OFF and the KILL SWITCH to RUN.
2) Push & hold odometer RESET button.
3) Turn IGNITION SWITCH to IGNITION; release odometer RESET button.
4) Speedo will sweep, idiot lights will illuminate, DIAG will appear on speedometer.
5) Push odometer RESET button once; PSSPt will appear on speedometer, with first P flashing.
6) Push and hold the odometer RESET button for about 5 seconds; any codes stored will appear. NONE will appear if there are no codes. Move from one section to the next by pushing the odometer RESET button once and releasing. Record the codes.

When my stator crapped on my '07 XLN, I had the following codes:
B0563 which means Battery Voltage High TSM/TSSM
P0562 which means Battery Voltage Low EFI
P0563 which means Battery Voltage High EFI

It probably had both the high & low volt codes due to the stator shorting, which would cause an instantaneous high, followed by the stator burning up giving no stator output, which would result in a low volt code.

A quick use of the nose will usually tell you if the stator is cooked. Open the primary chain adjusting cover and take a sniff; a burnt stator smells pretty strongly.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:39 PM
robxl1200c
Intermediate

I had a similiar problem on my bike - except mine was due to weakening the battery over the winter by using a normal car battery charger, plus I had a bad system relay - this lead to a complete drain on the battery, to the point where it was completely dead, and had to be replaced. I ended up buying a new battery, swapping the two relays (starter and system), and using a battery tender. To date, since I changed things up, no issues and all is well.

The bad system relay was letting current through to the fuel pump and you could here a faint whirring sound under the gas tank, when I swapped the relays, the problem went away. I also picked up a spare relay at the local HD dealer - just in case it finally gives out.

As mentioned above, get some dialectric grease and give all the contacts a coating, and check the bolts on the battery cables and grounding wire to the engine.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:05 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

When you have a problem always check the simple things first. Check the ground wire connections at both ends. This is a frequent problem on a motorcycle.

Never ever jump with a car. A cycle batter to last should never be charged more than 2 amps.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:40 AM
Z06_Pilot
Tourer

Originally Posted by anthayden24
new update....

cleaned off all the fuses and fuses box. got it started and rode around the block. halfway through my check engine light AND my battery light came on.

im clueless...guess im gonna have to shell out more $$ to my HD dealership to figure out wtf is wrong
you shouldn't have to pay them a dime to figure out what's wrong!? it's an 08 with a two year warranty.....right?

Old 04-30-2013, 08:16 PM
nickymckay
Stage II

Hi Z06 did you get this fixed?? My 2010 Nightster is giving me the same problem and f'n me off!

Old 04-30-2013, 08:24 PM
Z06_Pilot
Tourer

Hey Nicky

it was actually someone else having this issue...I used their quote in my post.

Quick Reply: nightster wont start....wtf