Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 07:00 PM
crazytrain69
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Battery

Will a bad battery make your bike run like ****?? Today on my way home from work my bike just didn't seem to be running right and one time when i used the clutch it died but it started right back up. the guy that lives next door came over with his battery tester and the volts were very low. now it want start at all. I'm going to recharge this battery and see what happens.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:17 PM
magnum629c
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it will make your bike run like crap yes. take it and toss it most tines they never charge right

Old 06-11-2009, 07:22 PM
magnum629c
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

how olds the battey? try charging if its not that old. But it sure will mess the bike up. Mine did the same then I hooked up jumper cables to my jeep and the bike ran great till I took the cables off then I new it was that battey

Old 06-11-2009, 08:19 PM
crazytrain69
Road Captain

Well what a bunch of crap! any way the battery is about 2 years old so i think i'm just going to get me a new one. It went dead about 4 moths ago and i charged the battery and it ran until now but it seems like the older it gets some times its hard to start every now and then even if i had been riding for 2 hours. so i think it might be time for a new battery.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:20 PM
Barrett from Mississippi
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would hate to think you are having problems with a 2008 battery.

If you can after you charge the battery back up check the voltage while it is running, it should be putting out around 14 volts if the charging system is working right.

My 2003 battery failed and left me on the side of the road, I replaced the battery and it too failed, my charging system was not working. It turns out I had a cable issue just below the voltage regulator, reconnected the cable and all was well.

You can get a el cheapo depo Battery / Charging system tester for around $30.00.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:24 PM
crazytrain69
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Barrett from Mississippi
I would hate to think you are having problems with a 2008 battery.

If you can after you charge the battery back up check the voltage while it is running, it should be putting out around 14 volts if the charging system is working right.

My 2003 battery failed and left me on the side of the road, I replaced the battery and it too failed, my charging system was not working. It turns out I had a cable issue just below the voltage regulator, reconnected the cable and all was well.

You can get a el cheapo depo Battery / Charging system tester for around $30.00.
I hear ya there. i was thinking the same thing so i'm going to get the battery on the charger get the tester.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Barrett from Mississippi
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I,m sure you have been here long enough to know that 28 people are going to tell you to check the negative battery cable, check the connections at the relay box for corosion.

My problem was the wiring cable tied to the bike frame behind the front exhust, they pulled the plug apart and one of the wires had come loose.

But do check all your connections, I would hate to think a high dollar battery would,nt last more than 2 years.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:55 PM
crazytrain69
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Barrett from Mississippi
I,m sure you have been here long enough to know that 28 people are going to tell you to check the negative battery cable, check the connections at the relay box for corosion.

My problem was the wiring cable tied to the bike frame behind the front exhust, they pulled the plug apart and one of the wires had come loose.

But do check all your connections, I would hate to think a high dollar battery would,nt last more than 2 years.
28 people at least! i just went out and checked all the connections cables and put the thing on the charger. all the connections were clean as a bell.
I did test the battery with it out and it was reading 4V so its going to be on the charger for a while. after it charged i'll test it while its running and see what we get from there.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:54 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Just get the $20 battery tender at Wally world. Plug it in and only unplug when you go riding. Plug it back in when you return.

I just sold a bike with a 8 year old battery in it that would pass a load test. Been on a tender since day one.

I collect sports cars and motorcycles. Tenders on all of them never a problem. Some set 6 to 8 months.

The 07 Softail Custom hasn't been out since November. It started immediately today.

Just think of the hassle that $20 investment will save.

The brand name is Shumacker.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:16 PM
crazytrain69
Road Captain

Did the battery charge last night and rechecked all the connection today. After all that i started the bike right up and it ran like a champ. I did have the battery tested and it tested fine. the guy at auto zone sold me a Shumacker Battery maintainer for $15. Now that is running normal i'm going to go out for a ride.

Quick Reply: Battery