Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 09:46 PM
Barrett from Mississippi
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you check the volts on the battery while it was running? It should be showing 14 volts or better if the bikes charging system is working right.

With my elcheapo tester my bike shows 14.8 volts at the battery at an idle.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:04 PM
crazytrain69
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Barrett from Mississippi
Did you check the volts on the battery while it was running? It should be showing 14 volts or better if the bikes charging system is working right.

With my elcheapo tester my bike shows 14.8 volts at the battery at an idle.
It was showing 14.8 just like your bike. So i'm not sure what would cause the battery drain like it did but I also haven't had a lot of times to ride this season yet. The battery did die during the winter and i chargered it then and it did fine for 4 months. I'll just keep checking the battery every so often.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:09 PM
trmac
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts

Along with all the connections your checking, make sure to check the one for the regulator. Mine got pulled loose when an Indy did some work on it and I didn't have problem til the next day after I'd put about 80 miles on it - had been running straight off the battery from the time I picked it up without it geting any charge put back. Was running great then the electronics started acting up then ran like crap and shortly after it died. Found the bad connection, jumped it let the battery charge and haven't had a problem since.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:54 AM
crazytrain69
Road Captain

Originally Posted by trmac
Along with all the connections your checking, make sure to check the one for the regulator. Mine got pulled loose when an Indy did some work on it and I didn't have problem til the next day after I'd put about 80 miles on it - had been running straight off the battery from the time I picked it up without it geting any charge put back. Was running great then the electronics started acting up then ran like crap and shortly after it died. Found the bad connection, jumped it let the battery charge and haven't had a problem since.
Can you tell me the general location of where the one for the regulator is at? i might have checked it all ready. i tried to find it in the service manual but i didn't find it.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:27 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by crazytrain69
It was showing 14.8 just like your bike. So i'm not sure what would cause the battery drain like it did but I also haven't had a lot of times to ride this season yet. The battery did die during the winter and i chargered it then and it did fine for 4 months. I'll just keep checking the battery every so often.
Can you tell me the general location of where the one for the regulator is at? i might have checked it all ready. i tried to find it in the service manual but i didn't find it.
If you're showing between 13.5 - 14.8 volts across the battery with the bike running, the charging circuit (stator & regulator) are connected and working.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Barrett from Mississippi
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the front frame of the bike, you will find a horn, and a square ribbed thing that is the regulator, follow the cable down the bike frame on the exhust pipe side. There is a square plug male and female plugged together just behind the front exhust. One of my wires had come loose from the front end of this plug, they reconnected the loose wire and all was well.

But if you are showing 14.8 volts while running you should not be draining the battery, more is going to the battery than the bike is using.

They say you can not be starting the bike and running for a short period of time, they say it takes about 20 minutes for the charging system to replace the juice you used on the start.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:50 AM
trmac
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts

Plug on my 05 is just below and behind the regulator. But like the others said -if you're getting good voltage at the battery while running that plug ain't the problem.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:25 AM
crazytrain69
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Barrett from Mississippi
On the front frame of the bike, you will find a horn, and a square ribbed thing that is the regulator, follow the cable down the bike frame on the exhust pipe side. There is a square plug male and female plugged together just behind the front exhust. One of my wires had come loose from the front end of this plug, they reconnected the loose wire and all was well.

But if you are showing 14.8 volts while running you should not be draining the battery, more is going to the battery than the bike is using.

They say you can not be starting the bike and running for a short period of time, they say it takes about 20 minutes for the charging system to replace the juice you used on the start.
got it checked. seemed a little loose so i took it to the shop and they said it was fine. so the last 4 days on the battery tender it hasn't given me any problem. i guess i'll find out in a few months if the problem has been corrected.