Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lighting help

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 09:12 AM
kblack1101
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lighting help

Okay, SO I have been wading through threads upon threads, and maybe my search word combos just plain suck cuz I can't seem to find anyone who has documented switching their bike from nightster tail lights and blinkers over to a single light on the side. ( like a 32 ford style license plate frame/light)

I would like to believe it is just as easy as connecting the wires from the Left side brake to the new light, and leaving the rest of the stuff to do nothing..??
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Old 06-05-2009, 09:31 AM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kblack1101
Okay, SO I have been wading through threads upon threads, and maybe my search word combos just plain suck cuz I can't seem to find anyone who has documented switching their bike from nightster tail lights and blinkers over to a single light on the side. ( like a 32 ford style license plate frame/light)

I would like to believe it is just as easy as connecting the wires from the Left side brake to the new light, and leaving the rest of the stuff to do nothing..??
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
If I am reading correctly, your intention is to, effectively, remove the rear turn signals and replace them with a single brake light mounted somewhere on the back of the bike. Is this correct?

Assuming that's what you're after, we'll need to know what you intend to do with the front turn signals.

If you intend to remove the front turn signals, you have an easy job. Simply unplug the turn signals and remove them, then buy a turn signal pigtail from the dealer and splice your brake light into it, plug it in and mount it.

If you intend to keep the front turn signals, you might find it necessary to install a load equalizer where the rear turn signals used to be to ensure proper operation of the front turn signals.

You then will have to pull up the wiring diagram to locate the wire that controls the "brake" function of the lights, cut that wire and run it to your brake light.

Neither of these should be particularly difficult. I don't believe it is wise (to be honest, I think you're quite foolish if you remove the lights) to do this, but if you insist, you should do it right.