Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best way to clean a bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 11:59 AM
mastasnyper
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best way to clean a bike?

I'm new to the harley group so i apologize in advance for alot of questions to come. To start of with, whats the best cleaning agent and way to clean a 06 sportster custom? FOr chrome and paint?

Old 05-15-2006, 02:03 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: best way to clean a bike?

No question here is stupid. You might get some ribbing for being the one millionth person to ask about slip-on muffler suggestions or something but no one will ever seriously get on your case for questions. That's why we're all here to help and be helped.

You'll get a lot of answers for this one.

After a few rides or as things start to get dirty, I use Harley spray cleaner/polish for spot cleaning/touch-ups. I think any spray cleaner/polish will work. Its begun to get harder using just that since I have more bug death stuck to things. Once its beyond the simple spray and wipe I have to graduate to the heavy cleaning.

For heavy cleaning I've been wetting the bike down, pretreating bug guts and road grit with Orange Clean and then going over the bike with sponges and mild detergent/water mix. I use warm water mostly. Rinse with a hose. Use a blower of compressor to blow most of water out of tight spots. Then do a once over with the spray cleaner/polish until its shiny again. That's it until, like I said, after a few rides it gets dirty again.

Old 05-15-2006, 02:32 PM
purefire572
Intermediate

"No question here is stupid. You might get some ribbing for being the one millionth person to ask about slip-on muffler suggestions or something but no one will ever seriously get on your case for questions. That's why we're all here to help and be helped."

[sm=burnout.gif] Benson, you slay me.

Old 05-15-2006, 02:50 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My approach is a lazyer way. I use the do-it-yourself car wash. Just be careful not to use high pressure around wheel hubs and electrical parts, instruments, etc. Be sure the engine has cooled down first.

If the bike is just a little dusty, I will use Windex on the chrome and Lemon Pledge on the tin.

Old 05-15-2006, 03:57 PM
alexcue
Road Master

S-100 is my cleaner of choice. Followed by a blow dry w/Cycle Dry. Less time washing and more time riding.

Old 05-15-2006, 04:27 PM
burnie
Tourer

How ever you chose to clean your bike, Id suggest useing two buckets. One with soapy water and another with clean water. When ever you go to wet you sponge with soapy water, rinse it off with the clean water first. This keeps your soapy water from getting real dirty and keeps you from collecting sand in your sponge/rag which will help keep from getting scratches or swirl marks in you paint or chrome. Other than that, clean how you choose. Just stay away from presure sprayers.

Old 05-15-2006, 06:12 PM
Iron Legend
Cruiser

It takes me a little while but I use a garden hose first to wet it down then use Mothers car wash in a bucket and a wash mitt to clean sections at a time and hosing them off. When that's all finished I chamois it as dry as I can get it then use a low pressure air from a compressor I have to blow the water out of the tight spots and then take it for a short ride to get rid of any other moisture that may be on the exhaust or brake parts.

Tom

Old 05-15-2006, 06:28 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only water my bike sees is from rain.

Lemon fragrence pledge & baby diaper rags. That's it for everything. I also use leather conditioners for the leather periodically.

Old 05-15-2006, 09:27 PM
cadrmn1831
Advanced

I would have to agree with alexcu. You might have to do a little work on tar and bugs, but for the most part, S100. Once I found it, I would not use anything else. Although a little pricey.

Old 05-15-2006, 09:45 PM
npd_66
Cruiser

I use the Mr. Clean Auto Wash or whatever the hell it is called. It's the one with the filtered water so you don't have to dry the vehicle. When finished it leaves only a couple of water spots which are easily wiped off.

Quick Reply: best way to clean a bike?