Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker Rebel Install Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009 | 10:23 AM
Treek
|
Cruiser
Angry Hooker Rebel Install Problems

Good Morning Gents and Ladies,

So, I purchased some Hooker Darkside Rebels for my Nightster and have been attempting to install them. Attempting is the key word here...
First problem, the mounting bracket interfered with my rear brake. I searched the forum and it appears that I am not the only one to have this problem. Oh well... it was fixed, no biggie.

Next problem, the front pipe does not line up with the mounting bracket. The holes are off by about a half an inch, making it impossible to get the screws through without drilling new holes in the mounting plate and the pipe. Anyone else have this problem?

And the last problem, the front pipe touches the gear box cover (or whatever its called) and the rear pipe touches the rear belt guard. Isn't there supposed to be some clearance?!? It just doesn't seem right to me. Anyone else have this problem?

These pipes have me stumped. I called Holley, they were generally unhelpful, but said that I can return them, but they don't have anymore in stock.

Any suggestions on how to fix the problems? Or, is it pretty much a lost cause?

Thanks in advance

Laura

Old 06-03-2009 | 01:25 PM
forever young
Cruiser

Actually, there are quite a few threads in all the model forums about various problems with Hooker exhaust. Their quality control appears to suck. Some systems fit and work fine others literally fall apart. I think you should try to get your money back. It's a shame cause they really do look and sound nice but I'm afraid all you have there is a paper weight.

Old 06-03-2009 | 01:28 PM
papadop88
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by forever young
Actually, there are quite a few threads in all the model forums about various problems with Hooker exhaust. Their quality control appears to suck. Some systems fit and work fine others literally fall apart. I think you should try to get your money back. It's a shame cause they really do look and sound nice but I'm afraid all you have there is a paper weight.

I agree...you bought a new exhaust system, no reason for it not to fit and ABSOLUTELY no reason for you to modify it to fit your bike. You should get your money back and get a different system. Lots of manufacturers out there with much better exhaust.

Old 06-03-2009 | 08:14 PM
Somethinglike7
Cruiser

Hookers suck... know from experience(exhaust of course!)

Old 06-03-2009 | 11:36 PM
killer scott
Road Warrior

Yep, heard these sorts of things on several occasions. Return them. THey were cheap for a reason. You shouldn't have to bend your pipes to fit the bike. Your problems probably wont stop there either! I've also heard a lot about the mounts breaking later on.

Old 06-04-2009 | 12:00 AM
Topdogg
Cruiser

I installed the rebels on my 08 1200L with the exception of having to grind the mounting bracket to clear the rear brake they were a snap to install. It did take some wiggleling to make sure there's clearance between the front pipe and the brake pedal mounting bracket. So chances are you just got a bad set.

Old 06-04-2009 | 12:23 AM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member

I installed some Troublemakers and they went on with no trouble at all. They sound great with the quiet baffles in them. Have a good tone.

They were on sale since they are discontinuing motorcycle pipes.