Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washing the iron

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 08:39 AM
Mattyboy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washing the iron

Hey everyone. I got my iron two days ago and its time to clean her. Just need to know best soap, cloths and drying cloths? Also which soap for flat black parts and which soap for all others? Thanks so much

Old 06-03-2009, 08:43 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

grab yourself a Mr. Clean auto dry car wash kit....

Old 06-03-2009, 08:47 AM
Mattyboy
Intermediate

Thats good for everything? I've never used it before so do you have to hand dry after? thanks bro

Old 06-03-2009, 09:05 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member

no you don't have to hand dry, depending on how dirty the bike is, after you spray the soap on, you may have to use a sponge, but after you rinse the soap off, you set the little gun to spot free rinse and it literally chases the water off. I just got it and washed my SRT8 Charger, which is a black pearl paint, in the sun.....I did not hand dry and it had NO waterspots. If it worked that well on that paint, the flat colors of the Iron should be good. I haven't used it on the wife's iron yet, but I was really impressed with the results on my Charger. I haven't needed to wash the Road King since I got it, but I plan to give it a shot on that too......

EDIT: not having to hand dry the paint will help you not get the "shiny spots" that you can sometimes get on the denim paint from too much rubbing....

Last edited by brettnbama; 06-03-2009 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:11 AM
beanerblank
Tourer

I use regular car wash, then dry. Your dealer should have given you some "Harley Gloss" it's about $10 a bottle. You just spray on and wipe off (before it dries) Takes water spots off and makes it look perfect. Use it on the denim surfaces and chrome if you want. 20 minutes and it's all cleaned up. Which is great for me.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:15 AM
sap
2nd Gear

I would like some tips on cleaning the motor itself. How is everybody cleaning those black motor fins? That rough wrinkle finish seems kinda tough to keep clean.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:58 PM
FlatDF
Tourer

Originally Posted by sap
I would like some tips on cleaning the motor itself. How is everybody cleaning those black motor fins? That rough wrinkle finish seems kinda tough to keep clean.
S100 Engine Bright. Sprays on and lays down across the wrinkle black parts - wipe off any excess that hits the polished parts. Best stuff I've used for wrinkle black motors, makes them look brand new again and lasts for a few months. Most dealers have it, some decent auto parts places have it, or you can pick it up online.

Chris

Old 06-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Sick1200
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mattyboy
Hey everyone. I got my iron two days ago and its time to clean her. Just need to know best soap, cloths and drying cloths? Also which soap for flat black parts and which soap for all others? Thanks so much
Is it even dirty yet?

Old 06-03-2009, 04:13 PM
papadop88
Road Warrior

Its been two days...unless you went off-roading, I'd just get some Meguire's Quick Detailer and some microfiber cloths and you should be good.

I've had my bike now for exactly one year with over 5500 miles on it and I haven't washed it once, yet it still looks spotless. I just use the quick detailer spray. But most of the time, just wipe it down with the microfiber cloth to pick up most of the dust after a ride and thats it.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:10 PM
DallasSportster
Road Captain

+1 on the Mr. Clean Auto Dry. I use that once every other month to wash the bike down with soap. The provided soap and "auto dry" rinse work great to keep you from getting spots on the chrome and paint. I use a microfiber cloth and Harley Gloss between washings.

Quick Reply: Washing the iron