Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holy S#!t Batman !!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 05:13 AM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Holy S#!t Batman !!!

I installed new pipes, rear shocks and front fork springs on my Harley and what a difference it makes. Use to be a harsh ride but now it is almost like riding a Cadillac. And the pipes, although loud they are street legal, added the zip and drivability that my bike had been lacking.

Took it out on the freeway and getting on was a breeze and when looked down to the speedometer I was going 90 and it did not feel like it. I immediately slowed down to 65 and just went cruising along and the ride all I can say is WOW. With two up it should be really nice and smooth. With the stock springs it would bottom out on fairly moderate roads even with the shocks on the highest setting

The shocks and springs are Progressive brand. The rear shocks are the 440 13" and the front fork springs are the standard progressive springs. If only Harley-Davidson would upgrade their spring package to something like this they would sell more bikes.

It use to be that when I got it around 80+ the ride would beat you to death here on the Southern California freeways with the expansion joints and such but with the new springs, like i said before, WOW

The pipes are the Vance & Hines short shots with the standard baffling, well it looks like a glass pack type muffler which is to say a straight through shot. A touch on the loud side but the performance is phenomenal. As I had mentioned earlier when I had it on the freeway I went through the gears so fast that when I went to shift to the next higher gear their where none left. I had gone through them so fast I had lost count. The acceleration is rapid. I don’t no how much power gain I got but I can feel it. I had re-jetted the carb earlier to get rid of the spitting and backfiring so it was running a little fat but now with the pipe installation the idle has become sharper with each cylinder firing but the response is snappy, use to be when you gave it any gas it would slowly accelerate. And on down shifting when I give it throttle it is right their in RPM's to accept the next gear and NO spitting.

This sounds like an advertisement for V&H but its not I just wanted to share my experience with the Sporty group and answer some questions for the newbie’s.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:59 AM
BradNailer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, those expansion joints can almost hypnotize you with their study wump-wump. I used to live in San Jose and it was the rain grooves that would drive me crazy.
Glad your new setup has worked out for you.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:22 AM
motordrum
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you enjoy your ride much more now. That's awesome! Keep your knees in the breeze!

Old 05-31-2009, 11:11 AM
harley6six
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh yeah! Glad you like the upgrades, just wait until you put on the full stage 1 with the AC. And I am with you on those expansion joints they are a beyotch.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:33 AM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Did not mention the other upgrade

Originally Posted by harley6six
Oh yeah! Glad you like the upgrades, just wait until you put on the full stage 1 with the AC. And I am with you on those expansion joints they are a botch.
I did not mention the other upgrade and that was the installation of a Kyurakin Hyper Pro R air cleaner, yeah its mostly looks but it did improve the intake as now with the pipe installation you can hear the intake growl.
Another reason I re-jetted the carb