Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

floor boards on a sporty?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 08:37 PM
cdaxj
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default floor boards on a sporty?

Has anyone ever put floor boards, or mini floor boards, on for passenger foot pegs, or have you seen this done? wondering if there are any out there that would fit and make the ride more comfortable for my wife. thanks.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:54 PM
rob91326
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've thought about'em for long trips but haven't done anything yet.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:52 PM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

be carfull with floorboards for the passenger, when your leavin at a light could get your leg all fumbled up. check derbrix, i don't know if they have anything but i check that web site offten for good deals and a good product

Old 05-31-2009, 12:42 PM
RATROD HOG
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

they make a longer rear standard peg ,might help her?

Old 05-31-2009, 07:10 PM
1200Hz
Advanced

I found these minifloorboards ( 4"x8" ) at 2orangeharleys.com. for the rider. They might also work for the passenger.
Powdercoating them black to match my N doubled the price, but they should look goood.

1200Hz

Attached Thumbnails floor boards on a sporty?-minifloorboards.jpg  
Old 06-01-2009, 11:02 AM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1200Hz
I found these minifloorboards ( 4"x8" ) at 2orangeharleys.com. for the rider. They might also work for the passenger.
Powdercoating them black to match my N doubled the price, but they should look goood.

1200Hz
What he said. I bought a set off ebay. I think they were Custom Chrome, for riders boards on my fxdl don't see why the wouldn't work on a sporty. Either rider or passenger.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:34 AM
mbwannabe1
Tourer

I put a set of universal floorboards from Custom Chrome (sold by J&P) on my sporty.
http://www.jpcycles.com/Search/Produ...&results=10&No=

The boards were originally going to be up front, but the angle wasn't right for me with forward controls. The adjustable ones 1200Hz recommended would have solved that problem. I put them on the back (mounted flat) and it really does help with passenger comfort. Not only did the passenger say they liked it better, but I also noticed the passenger was much less figety.

The only problem is that they won't fold up right when you aren't using them because of the angle of the mounting bracket. The original pegs fold up diagonally, not straight up, so the new boards tip back when you fold them up, and the back corner digs into the swingarm. I'm long legged, so the boards don't really get in my way when they're down. They do move some, so they push back on the few times I brush them with the back of my leg.

Don't go cheap. My $40 boards went on in November, and the chrome was peeling on one of them by the following March. Not a storage problem, because I don't have a problem with any of the other chrome on my bike.

Last edited by mbwannabe1; 06-01-2009 at 03:22 PM. Reason: add link
Old 06-01-2009, 02:10 PM
TRacer
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I have; they're grrrreat!

I have a pair of Tour Ease mini floorboards mounted on my '04 Custom, and I love 'em. Not only are they comfortable for my 9-year old son's feet, but I like to rest my heels on them on long rides when I'm by myself as if they were mid mounted pegs.

Originally they were designed so they could not fold up. However, a few minutes spent with a Dremel tool cutting off the half-circle tab on them took care of that.

The pic in my sig shows my bike with the floorboards folded up; I've also attached a close-up of the floorboard mod I did to accomplish this:

Attached Thumbnails floor boards on a sporty?-floorboardmod.jpg  
Old 06-01-2009, 03:44 PM
mbwannabe1
Tourer

J&P's description says they don't fold, but they actually do. If your original pegs folded straight up like a Softail instead of at an angle like my '08 XLC, you won't have a problem.

Custom Chrome put that half-moon there so the hinge point would be at the pin where the original pegs mounted. With the half-moon cut out, it has two places it can fold. What stops it from folding too far ? (90° from original hinge, and 90° more on the hinge point you made with the mod = boards hit where?)

I thought about TRacer's mod, and would have done it if the Custom Chrome pins extended farther under the floorboard. It looks like a safety problem to me. Your passenger can put all their weight on the board, and once you cut off the tabs, you've only got about 3/16" of metal left to keep the board from moving down. Maybe your boards were different, but they sure look the same.

Since my chrome is peeling, I might try it anyway. If I romp on it a few times and the board doesn't snap, then I just underestimated the strength of the metal and my passenger will be fine. If it doesn't survive, I can have another excuse to replace the bad chrome.

Last edited by mbwannabe1; 06-01-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:19 PM
66impala
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Im using the Kuryakin floor boards #4455 and adaptors #8881, makes a huge differnece in comfort for the passengers. The floor boards fold up straight with the adaptors.

Quick Reply: floor boards on a sporty?