Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1200N with a windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 11:03 AM
Boo67
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1200N with a windshield?

Anyone riding their Nightster with a windshield on it? How do you like/dislike that? I'm thinking about putting one on to help reduce neck fatigue from the wind.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:25 AM
FLHXLNOW
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

The 09 1200N I bought used, with 578 miles on it, had the detachable windshield installed. It still throws air into your face, but you don't feel the wind on your chest. I presume this alleviates much of the neck strain of fighting the wind against your chest.

Haven't ridden a bike without a windshield in 5 years, so I don't exactly recall what it is like.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:29 AM
harley6six
Cruiser

Some may say that the flyscreen from national cycle I have on my bike may not count because it is tiny. I did help take some of the pressure off my chest, but it is in perfecct position to direct the wind blast right at my head at high speeds.

I did see some pics of a Nightster with the Memphis shades on it and I thought it looked clean. Here's the link to the page, it is on page 2. You may want to look into that one to suit your needs. I have thought about that one alot but don't use the freeway enough to force me to get it.

But in all honesty I prefer the Nightster in raw form.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...orrible-2.html

Last edited by harley6six; 05-29-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:36 AM
Boo67
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by harley6six
Some may say that the flyscreen from national cycle I have on my bike may not count because it is tiny. But I did see some pics of a Nightster with the Memphis shades on it and I thought it looked clean. Here's the link to the page, it is on page 2. But in all honesty I prefer the Nightster in raw form.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...orrible-2.html
Thanks. I actually think that looks pretty good. I love the bare bones look of the Nighty, but sometimes you have to sacrifice looks for comfort/convenience. I'm going to put bags on too (a SIN, lol, but gotta have somewhere to put my STUFF)

Old 05-29-2009, 12:00 PM
motordrum
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just say "no".

Old 05-29-2009, 02:10 PM
ghostflames
Advanced

I have had a windshield on every bike I have owned, never rode without one until I got the Nightster. I bought both the standard and the compact detacheable for the Nightster and both looked ridiculous. The bike is so narrrow then you have this wide windshield out front - not to mention the tiny headlight that barely comes flush with the shield. Plus the buffetting from the air coming up underneath is terrible...more distracting than just riding without - so I shelved both. Then I bought a Fly Screen from National. That looked killer, but at 6 foot it the all the wind about chin level. Now I ride with a full face or goggles.

If you can, borrow a detacheable or ride someones bike that has one before you buy....or buy from someplace with a flexible return policy. I ebay'd, but still probably threw away over $100

Old 05-29-2009, 02:19 PM
Boo67
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ghostflames
I have had a windshield on every bike I have owned, never rode without one until I got the Nightster. I bought both the standard and the compact detacheable for the Nightster and both looked ridiculous. The bike is so narrrow then you have this wide windshield out front - not to mention the tiny headlight that barely comes flush with the shield. Plus the buffetting from the air coming up underneath is terrible...more distracting than just riding without - so I shelved both. Then I bought a Fly Screen from National. That looked killer, but at 6 foot it the all the wind about chin level.
Thanks, that's the kind of info I'm looking for. Appreciate it.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:21 PM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the looks of the bare bones on the nightster. If you are gona ride a sporty then you got to be tough. Get rid of the big air grabbing helmet and find something smaller, this will reduce the neck strain. I do have a windshield but it is detachable and rarely ever use it. it only blocks the wind (isint that what we love bout bikes? being in the wind?) the helmet still grabs the wind.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:29 PM
Boo67
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by midnight2005
I love the looks of the bare bones on the nightster. If you are gona ride a sporty then you got to be tough. Get rid of the big air grabbing helmet and find something smaller, this will reduce the neck strain. I do have a windshield but it is detachable and rarely ever use it. it only blocks the wind (isint that what we love bout bikes? being in the wind?) the helmet still grabs the wind.
My problem is that I wear a novelty helmet, and want to start wearing a DOT. I had a DOT helmet, but got rid of it because the combination of wind at high speeds and the helmet made my neck ache for days and made for a miserable ride.
Just considering all my options...I want to start using my bike for more than just recreational rides, so considering things that will help it be more functional for me.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:49 PM
ghostflames
Advanced

Originally Posted by Boo67
Thanks, that's the kind of info I'm looking for. Appreciate it.
No problem...and I think my post reads kinda negative...not intended. Everyone has a different taste in what does or does not look good. I am sure my dad thinks my new ape hangers look ridiculous lol. I just wanted to tell you about what I had experienced.

A couple of notes I thought after I logged out. Keep in mind both of the windshileds I had were from HD and chrome. The new blacked out ones may look better, but I suspect the wind buffetting is still there. I did see a guy with this windshield at the gas station and it looked pretty sharp...maybe something to look at:

http://www.memphisshades.com/del_rio.shtml

Quick Reply: 1200N with a windshield?