Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1200N with a windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 07:23 AM
Beaulaplante
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the Slipstreamer Tombstone for my N. Part #: 27172 from Dennis Kirk It's detachable (2 wingnuts) and gets the buffeting off my chest and head.

$68 plus shipping and includes all hardware. I usually only put it on for highway rides and it works well...It's narrow so it doesn't compromise the look of the bike too much.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:44 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I have the Harley detachable smoked on mine,with wide vintage Mustang,forwards,crash bar with freeway pegs,pulled back apes,12.5 Progressive shocks,Metzler rear tire,saddle bags,don't care what some consider cool,ride mine most everyday,rode this morning,it is raining right now,got the rain suit in the bag,more comfortable than most on my Sportster.Also mounted water bottle holder to left saddle bag,when it's not raining here it is dang hot,also detachable luggage rack for what needs to be tied to the back if need be.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:18 PM
Jumpalot
Advanced

Got the Del Rio in Monday and finally had a chance to put it on tonight. I think it looks pretty good actually. It is about the same height as my mini-apes. I had it adjusted leaning back as far as I can get it w/out hitting the speedo and sitting right on top of the headlight. Went for a quick run up the road wearing a backwards hat and glasses. At about 55 mph, my glasses started to shake. Went home and adjusted it so it was standing up more. It was better, but still getting a little shake in the glasses. I couldn't feel it in my head at all. I want to try raising it up, I think I can raise it an inch to an inch and a half. Then I'll play with the angle. I will also ride it with the 3/4 helmet and my full face. It does a great job of keeping the pressure off my chest which is what I was wanting it for. Once I get it tweaked, it will be great.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:35 PM
davehtutk
Cruiser

Sorry to bring up an old post but i thought it was better than starting a new one with the same questions. Read evrything here, but does anybody have on of the handle bar mounted windshields? I was just wondering how good they held up. I am really thinking about one becuase i got to drive on the expressway everyday and the wind is getting bad here. I know the fork ones work great, just didnt know about the handle bar mounted ones. Oh yea its a 09 nightster

Old 08-06-2009, 04:08 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 21,400 Likes on 8,422 Posts

Originally Posted by davehtutk
Sorry to bring up an old post but i thought it was better than starting a new one with the same questions. Read evrything here, but does anybody have on of the handle bar mounted windshields? I was just wondering how good they held up. I am really thinking about one becuase i got to drive on the expressway everyday and the wind is getting bad here. I know the fork ones work great, just didnt know about the handle bar mounted ones. Oh yea its a 09 nightster
A buddy of mine has a fork mount on his SG and it looks good. It's one from HD, although I don't know what model it is. It's a shorty, 6", 9" ? He likes it and told me he got it from HD cheeper than he could anywhere else. I know the 'ol boy well and if he said it was cheeper from HD, he's tellin the truth.
SG = Super Glide.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:14 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have found over the years that windshields are crap, I have had short ones tall ones all differant brands and designs.
The only thing they seem to do is screw up the air flow so bad coming at you that they just beat the crap out of you.
I don't even use the one on my Road King anymore, you get a much smoother ride even up to 75 with no shield.
If you have to have one the best I have ever used is a ClearView with Recurve on stock mounting brackets.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:08 PM
yoacedeuce
Cruiser

I bought my 08 nightster used and the previous owner bought and had the detachable windshield installed (came with the bike when i bought it). I had to pickup some kids so i had them deliver the bike to my house, even the guy that brought it had to take the windshield off it looked so bad. I figured i'd sell it, since it's $399.95 MSRP at harley, but decided if i go on a really long trip i might just use it and sacrifice the "look" of the bike for less bugs on my face. To each his own, some people like the look (most don't) and how it keeps bugs off them.