Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet law

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009 | 08:48 PM
cke91082
|
Intermediate
Default Helmet law

Now for me, I have the family law that states I must wear a helmet...I have rode without and love it but what can ya do.....

anyway, do more states have helmet laws than those who dont? Just curious. Thanks

Old 05-25-2009 | 09:01 PM
SpursDarkrider
Road Warrior

The majority of states have some sort of helmet law. The law of common sense states its best to wear one. If you dont believe me, ask a rider who has gone down.

Old 05-25-2009 | 09:31 PM
luvmy03spt
Advanced

Here is a link that will show them.
http://usff.com/hlstatutes/50statehls.html

Old 05-25-2009 | 09:48 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by cke91082
Now for me, I have the family law that states I must wear a helmet...I have rode without and love it but what can ya do.....
Not much you can do as long as you let others tell you what you can or can't do, (or as you call it 'family law').....

Take a stand and make your own decisions.

Old 05-25-2009 | 11:03 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by OldFenderGuy
Not much you can do as long as you let others tell you what you can or can't do, (or as you call it 'family law').....

Take a stand and make your own decisions.
OldFenderGuy is right, make your own decisions.

But if you consider SpursDarkrider's advice, to "ask a rider who has gone down", it may give you an insight a lot of people don't consider. As someone that has 'gone down' twice, and that is in 40 years of riding daily in big city traffic, my experience may not be applicable to you. Especially since it was when I 'went down' during a desert race that my experience with the downside of a head injury began.

I won't go into the affects it can have on your life, because I already have many posts on the subject and it seems to irritate some people to hear about my experience. I DO NOT need, or want, anybody's empathy, pity, or really anything. But I would be remiss in not sharing things learned in the 'school of hard knocks'.

Most important is this. And it is not meant for anyone that has decided on their preferred course of action, only to offer my view for those that are undecided. Whatever reasons/logic you use, at least the one's I've seen, to justify not wearing a helmet are only meaningful during the actual time you are riding sans helmet.

Death is forever. A head injury, and it's affects, are with you 24/7 for the rest of your life. So consider these affects on you, or your family/loved ones or not, as you see fit.

Make your own decision, but protecting your head makes a lot more sense then being concerned about protecting your hands (gloves), feet/ankles (boots), or preventing roadrash (leather). And a proper fitting helmet doesn't intrude on the riding anymore then a jacket.

Ron

Last edited by rjg883c; 05-25-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-26-2009 | 12:37 AM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member

I'd wear a helmet anyways. My choice.
I don't believe the states should be taking away our rights to make the decision ourselves.

Old 05-26-2009 | 01:03 AM
HDXXX
Road Captain

No helmet law here in Wisconsin. I don't always wear one, but do for the most part. You'll notice some folks are just to cool

Old 05-26-2009 | 06:45 PM
eazyrider
Road Master

Texas says you have to have insurance and once you prove that you get a sticker. I have one but ride with a helmet most of the time although I think everyone should have a choice. I would really hate for somebody to say "man he would be alive if he only had a helmet on" or "if he had a helmet on he would not be a vegetable". If I get taken out by a Semi, well then okay, not much I can do about that. At least i won't feel cheated.

Old 05-26-2009 | 07:09 PM
quin
Advanced

My father was in his late 20's when he went down in a kroger parking lot. It was a low speed accident and he still broke his leg and bounced his head off of a curb, if he hadn't been wearing the helmet he wouldn't be here and thus I wouldn't be here.

Do I believe you should be forced to wear one? No
Do I think you should? Yes

There are days that I would love to not wear my full face helmet even jif it is just around town but then I remember the fact that pavement hurts no matter what the speed.

Old 05-26-2009 | 08:39 PM
midnight2005
Banned

it's my choice, If I want to die, let me. I dont care much for government studies that show what they want it to show.

Quick Reply: Helmet law