Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet law

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009 | 01:24 PM
notfried
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Samber79
The following is directly from the website of the Department of Public Safety:

Motorcycle Helmet Exemptions

Effective September 1, 1997, persons at least 21 years old are exempt from wearing a motorcycle helmet if they:
  • have successfully completed a motorcycle safety course, or
  • are covered by a health insurance plan providing the person with at least $10,000 in medical benefits for injuries incurred as a result of an accident while operating or riding upon a motorcycle.
i stand corrected.

Old 05-30-2009 | 12:21 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by midnight2005
it's my choice, If I want to die, let me. I dont care much for government studies that show what they want it to show.
It is your, and every individual's, choice. My suggestion is don't even let the possibility of death enter into your decision. Since others have expressed opinions about the possible consequences of your choice, I wasn't going to post. But then it occured to me that people might believe the "If I want to die, let me" is a deciding, or even important, factor when considering helmet use. It isn't. If a rider dies as a result of a head injury, he/she will never know it. Or the possible affects on family/loved ones.

But there is a whole range of possible results of an accident involving a 'thump' to a rider's head. It may result in only a headache and some superficial abrasion. Or the rider may have to relearn things most people take for granted. How to speak, write, walk, etc.. And the degree of proficiency that is regained may not be anywhere near what he/she would prefer.

Or the injury may be so severe the rider never recovers enough to be self sufficent again. He/she is 'alive', but not really 'living'. On the upside, the rider's may not be able to understand the position they are in. Or be able to feel empathy for the burden they put on their families, or whatever government/church/etc. entities are concerned with their care.

The bottom line is this: Whatever reason/justification anybody chooses to not wear a helmet is only pertinent for the time they are actually wearing, or riding without wearing, a helmet.
Death, or a head injury, is there 24/7 for the rest of the rider's, or for some ex-rider's, lives.

Don't concern yourself with government studies, they can be slanted to result in desired outcome. Instead stop by a cemetery or hospital. One thing I find difficult to understand is why some people are so concerned with wearing gloves, boots, leather, etc. and yet don't want to wear a helmet?

FLAME ON!

Ron