Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet law

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009 | 09:41 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member

you know here in Oklahoma, our state's constitution says, more or less, the state protects the public from you, and cannot protect you from yourself. Therefore, they cannot force the an individual to wear a helmet to if it does not endanger the public.
I do not have the right to tell other people how to live their lives.

Originally Posted by hincheec
I am on the fence on this issue:

I can see a mandatory helmet law being good,

and I can certainly understand the "my head, my choice" stance.

It is mandatory for those under 18 and those with learners permits here in SC.

I am certainly good with that.

I wear a full face all of the time, although I am shopping for a 1/2 helmet for this summer, last summer I was cooking in July/August in my full face.

In January I had a chunk of rubber the size of my fist bounce off the top of my helmet on the interstate, making a lound "thunk" as it ricocheted off my head. With no helmet I do believed that may have hurt a bit.....

Old 05-28-2009 | 02:50 PM
Sir_folgers
Novice

I was hit in the visor by a cigarette butt so I'm happy with the full face.

Old 05-28-2009 | 04:18 PM
Sundog
Cruiser

In Florida, you need to have $10,000 medical insurance and then you can go without.

I wish I could believe that some institution out there cares about me and my well being, but that's not what the helmet thing is about. The insurance lobby doesn't want to have to pay-out for your head injury. Of course 10K won't go too far.

There was a helmet law here up until a few years ago when the M/C community faught for it's repeal. So it CAN be done.

I switch off between full-face, skull-cap and none, depending on where and how I will be riding. None on the beach at low speeds to full-face when I'm running three digit speeds in the country on my rice burner

Attached Thumbnails Helmet law-zrx1100sm.jpg  
Old 05-28-2009 | 04:56 PM
nandrolone
Stage IV

In Texas you don't have to if you have $10,000 insurance or take the motorcycle safety course. However, you do have to wear a seatbelt in a car or truck.?

Old 05-29-2009 | 08:42 AM
Samber79
Advanced

Originally Posted by nandrolone
In Texas you don't have to if you have $10,000 insurance or take the motorcycle safety course. However, you do have to wear a seatbelt in a car or truck.?

Yes, but an adult doesn't have to wear a seatbelt in the back seat of a car, only the front.

Old 05-29-2009 | 09:26 AM
Kilroy
Novice

Well after 25 years of claiming I never so much as laid mine down standing still...The ditch magnet got me this past Sunday. Riding with buddies we rode home after a few hours of eating and fun. Sharp corner, wet bad pavement and little common sense. I have broken ribs, collapsed lung, broken shoulder and wonderful road rash on my head. Yup... no helmet. I was toled numerous times by EVERYONE, emt's, fire, Nurse who stopped by, hospital staff etc. That I should have been wearing a helmet. They ALL quieted down when I said "how would that have helped the broken things? It would only have stopped the road rash on my nugget." Bike needs a new peg and some paint touching up, but I'm mending and will be riding again soon (Laconia is coming up) Will I now wear a helmet...who knows. I will, probably until I get my "sea-legs" again. I've always felt what's the sense in riding if my head is in a cage.
Kilroy ( ride on brothers and sisters)

Old 05-29-2009 | 09:34 AM
notfried
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by tlb
I am not sure you have to get the sticker. You just have to have the card insurance card with you. the sticker is just for the police and you have to buy the sticker. Also if you have a safety course you are exempt from helmet laws, in Texas. correct me if I am wrong.
in Texas if you're over 21 and have 10k personal insurance then you don't have to wear a helmet...and even if you have the insurance you still have to apply for the sticker...

i wear one 50% of the time.

Last edited by notfried; 05-29-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-29-2009 | 09:43 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member

Mandatory Helmet use law here in TN (except for when in a "Parade" at speeds less than 30 mph). But we're working on it! As a matter of fact, I'm an officer in the local CMT/ABATE chapter. We work on lots of different legislative actions that affect motorcyclists, their and safety and freedom. We got shot down again this year on the Helmet law. Came close last year.

When I cross over the state line into a state that allows rider choice, first thing I do is take off my helmet and strap in on the side of the bike. Unless it's winter, then I wear the helmet to help keep warm.

Old 05-29-2009 | 12:48 PM
Clockwork_orange
Novice

Here in La. it passed the house to repeal our mandatory law. Gov. Foster had repealed it only to have Gov. Blanco (I'm sure you all remember what a great governor she was when she single-handedly brought the state through the worst natural disaster in U.S. history.......oh wait no she broke down crying on national tv.) reinstated it during her administration. Let's just call a spade a spade, insurance companies want it to stay mandatory. They never talk about heat exhaustion, helping the onset of strokes, high wind dangers to impede rider control etc. etc.

I prefer to wear one or not depending on the conditions. In Arkansas or Texas 90% of the time the novelty helmet I wear in compliance is strapped to the bitch bar.

Old 05-29-2009 | 01:00 PM
Samber79
Advanced

Originally Posted by notfried
in Texas if you're over 21 and have 10k personal insurance then you don't have to wear a helmet...and even if you have the insurance you still have to apply for the sticker...and the safety course has nothing to do with a helmet laws here.i have a link for it on my computer at home,but not at work or else i'd show you.

i wear one 50% of the time.
The following is directly from the website of the Department of Public Safety:

Motorcycle Helmet Exemptions

Effective September 1, 1997, persons at least 21 years old are exempt from wearing a motorcycle helmet if they:
  • have successfully completed a motorcycle safety course, or
  • are covered by a health insurance plan providing the person with at least $10,000 in medical benefits for injuries incurred as a result of an accident while operating or riding upon a motorcycle.

Quick Reply: Helmet law