Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet law

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009 | 11:50 AM
nhbiker1961
Road Master

Originally Posted by dknew
No helmet law here in NH so I don't wear one, I do own one though just in case I ride over to VT.
I don't think NH will ever change it's helmet law, at least not in my lifetime. But Maine has had the law come up over and over. It came up again this year and was shot down. As I said, it had to do with federal funding being pulled. I think it will be a matter of time. And if you have seen some of the road conditions in Maine, I would wear a helmet just to be safe from the pot holes and broken pavement.

Old 05-27-2009 | 12:08 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member

My helmet, my choice.

Old 05-27-2009 | 12:12 PM
16ouncePBR
Advanced

It is funny PA changed to not requiring a helmet many years back. Interesting to give us the choice instead of dictating. Never thought it would be repealed.

I remember riding to the races as a kid with my dad in DE (which did not have a law at the time) and seeing bikers carrying lids to strap on/off at the state lines. Even as a kid I thought "let the bikers alone". My thoughts are still the same.

It is nice to have the choice be mine, and I choose to wear.

Old 05-27-2009 | 03:55 PM
Samber79
Advanced

Originally Posted by tlb
I am not sure you have to get the sticker. You just have to have the card insurance card with you. the sticker is just for the police and you have to buy the sticker. Also if you have a safety course you are exempt from helmet laws, in Texas. correct me if I am wrong.

This is correct, you either need an MSF card or proof of $10,000 of personal injury insurance to legally ride without a helmet. The sticker is optional and can be obtained by mailing a copy of the MSF card or insurance to the department of public safety. Then the sticker is put on the license plate.

Old 05-27-2009 | 06:29 PM
diablo666
Road Master

In Pa you need the mtorcycle endorsement and have to be at least 18.I have not seen it enforced.So many bikes on the road with girls on the back without helmets.I doubt they all have the endorsement.At least from the news so far this year everyone that has died has had one on.I wonder what that means?I am not saying helmets kill because most of the time I wear mine even though I don't legally have to.Are they young kids losing control from going too fast?My guess is yes.The last two that died lost control,they were both in the same day or weekend in the Pittsburgh area.

Old 05-27-2009 | 09:49 PM
eazyrider
Road Master

I thought the sticker was mandatory, my bad. I should know what I am talking about before I post next time. Sorry.

Old 05-27-2009 | 10:39 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member

I was not picking at you man, my bad. Since I live on the border, of Baja Oklahoma, I looked once to make sure I knew the law. We ride down their a few times a year. If I live lived there, I would get the sticker. No reason to give a leo a reason to pull you over.
Originally Posted by eazyrider
I thought the sticker was mandatory, my bad. I should know what I am talking about before I post next time. Sorry.

Old 05-27-2009 | 11:51 PM
eazyrider
Road Master

I knew that you were not picking on me but I should know the facts before I post. I hate it when people do that, so I called myself out.

Old 05-28-2009 | 08:40 AM
hincheec
Cruiser

I am on the fence on this issue:

I can see a mandatory helmet law being good,

and I can certainly understand the "my head, my choice" stance.

It is mandatory for those under 18 and those with learners permits here in SC.

I am certainly good with that.

I wear a full face all of the time, although I am shopping for a 1/2 helmet for this summer, last summer I was cooking in July/August in my full face.

In January I had a chunk of rubber the size of my fist bounce off the top of my helmet on the interstate, making a lound "thunk" as it ricocheted off my head. With no helmet I do believed that may have hurt a bit.....

Old 05-28-2009 | 09:18 AM
dknew
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nhbiker1961
I don't think NH will ever change it's helmet law, at least not in my lifetime. But Maine has had the law come up over and over. It came up again this year and was shot down. As I said, it had to do with federal funding being pulled. I think it will be a matter of time. And if you have seen some of the road conditions in Maine, I would wear a helmet just to be safe from the pot holes and broken pavement.

yeah we do rides up around Sabogo lake then out 302 back to NH and the roads are brutal up there.

Quick Reply: Helmet law