Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet law

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009 | 09:31 PM
eazyrider
Road Master

it's my choice, If I want to die, let me. I dont care much for government studies that show what they want it to show.
I agree that the studies can be mis-leading. But for my skull I think that pavement and flesh ain't good and I don't need a study to determine that.

Old 05-26-2009 | 09:49 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member

I am sorry, but I was thinking the same thing.
Originally Posted by eazyrider
I agree that the studies can be mis-leading. But for my skull I think that pavement and flesh ain't good and I don't need a study to determine that.

Old 05-26-2009 | 11:03 PM
Recon Dad
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SgtMic
I'd wear a helmet anyways. My choice.
I don't believe the states should be taking away our rights to make the decision ourselves.
I agree with sarge. My decision is to ride with a full face helmet most of the time. A couple of days ago the car in front of me decided to empty his ash tray out the window.

I been riding over thirty years and have been hit in the face by bugs, stones and other things.

My state does not have a helmet law, but if you put a lot of miles on your bike you may want to wear one..

Last edited by Recon Dad; 05-26-2009 at 11:07 PM.
Old 05-26-2009 | 11:18 PM
eazyrider
Road Master

A couple of days ago the car in front of me decided to empty his ash tray out the window.
Another positive.
You know that reminds me. Couple months back I went to lunch and decided not to wear my helmet. I got stuck on the Interstate behind a gravel truck. Man all the millions of pebbles hitting my face hurt. Even though I had my glasses on I could barely keep my eyes open. Just instinct I guess but it really sucked.

Old 05-27-2009 | 02:21 AM
7373pisces
Cruiser
Default Helmets save Lives! So do Loud Pipes1

Originally Posted by SpursDarkrider
The majority of states have some sort of helmet law. The law of common sense states its best to wear one. If you dont believe me, ask a rider who has gone down.
***After having my bike smashed up rear!with me on it..Im Glad I had a Helmet On. Helmets can be bought in Many different styles! Look around for one. The Cool image of No Helmet soon fades if one comes off their bike..At least your Head is Protected! I tried No Helmet & felt unsafe! That taught me a Lesson! Helmet On.

Old 05-27-2009 | 07:12 AM
murphy08
Advanced
Talking

maine helmet law

Title 29-A. Motor Vehicles. Chapter 19. Operation. Subchapter I. Rules of the Road. Section 2083. Protective Headgear. 1. Requirement. :
"The following persons must wear protective headgear :
"A. If under 15 years of age, a passenger on a motorcycle, motor-driven cycle or an attached side car;

"B. If under 15 years of age, an operator of an off-road motorcycle or motor-driven cycle;

"C. An operator of a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle, operating under a learner's permit or within one year of successfully completing a driving test; and

"D. A passenger of an operator required to wear headgear."

and i don't always wear my helmet

Old 05-27-2009 | 07:24 AM
nhbiker1961
Road Master

I don't really think it's the State wanting to take away rights, I think the helmet laws are brought in because of pressure from insurance companies and the threat of removing Federal funding to the State. I know this is what has made seat belt laws change from State to State. Lets face it, insurance companies have way to much control in this country.

Old 05-27-2009 | 07:24 AM
wingman1946
Cruiser

Originally Posted by eazyrider
Texas says you have to have insurance and once you prove that you get a sticker. I have one but ride with a helmet most of the time although I think everyone should have a choice. I would really hate for somebody to say "man he would be alive if he only had a helmet on" or "if he had a helmet on he would not be a vegetable". If I get taken out by a Semi, well then okay, not much I can do about that. At least i won't feel cheated.
The sticker idea is one I hadn't heard before. That would appear to keep all sides happy and not trample on any rights. I am very much in favor of options, and helmets.

Old 05-27-2009 | 08:52 AM
dknew
Intermediate

No helmet law here in NH so I don't wear one, I do own one though just in case I ride over to VT.

Old 05-27-2009 | 09:02 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member

I am not sure you have to get the sticker. You just have to have the card insurance card with you. the sticker is just for the police and you have to buy the sticker. Also if you have a safety course you are exempt from helmet laws, in Texas. correct me if I am wrong.
Originally Posted by wingman1946
The sticker idea is one I hadn't heard before. That would appear to keep all sides happy and not trample on any rights. I am very much in favor of options, and helmets.

Last edited by tlb; 05-27-2009 at 09:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Helmet law