Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Making my own pipes question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 09:17 PM
grimlock
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Making my own pipes question...

I'm wanting to try my hand at making (modifying) my own pipes. Never really tried this before (so will probably make a mess), but would like to experiment. This is what I am considering doing:
I want to purchase some CHEAP, used pipes of ebay or craigslist and cut them, weld them, etc. -Using the headers off of them. I don't want to chop my current pipes cause it is my only transportation at the momment.

I have a 2006 Sportster... But this is what I am wondering: Can I use pipes from a 2003- or 2007+? Is it possible to use their headers, then do my own welding and stuff? Or do I HAVE to use pipes that fit 2004-2006 only?
Any insight would be helpful! Thanks!

Old 05-21-2009, 09:58 PM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

first off, good for you. this is exactly what i did about a year ago, i didn't have the $$ for a set of bad *** yaffies so i made my own.

the pipe heads from an 03 or an 07 should work just fine, you might need to use your own flanges though. and (not sure if your 06 has them) but remember the 07 will have a hole for an 02 sensor i believe.

there is alot to consider when makin your own pipes, remember if you do alot of highway miles longer pipes are better, if you are just doing short juants around town you can get away with shorter pipes, but you can't make them shorter than 28" ( i think its because you can easily burn up the valve seals) also if you want you scoot to run right you will want the pipes to be the same length and you will want some back pressure, i'm not sayin ya need baffles but ya need something in there. if ya have any questions hit me up. i love this stuff. if you give me your email i can send you a photobucket of my build to give you an idea. also remember you will need a mounting bracket that attaches to the engine, not the frame, on our rubber mounted engines the pipes need to be able to move with the engine or they will crack from being rigidly mounted.

good luck, don't let any of this stuff hold you back, when i got all this info on a thread i was feeling intimidated but when i made my mind up to just do it it all seemed to fall into place.

GITTERDUN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-22-2009, 12:43 AM
cadillac_dirk
Novice

Im happy to see that i'm not the only one considering this! I have Vance and Hines shortshots on my 08 Nightster. I liked the way the black heatshields looked but everyone has the same thing on thier N's so I made my own heatshields.

When i have a few cold ones and take a good look at them I think I want something a little different again. Then I see my stock pipes layin in the shed and I start thinking, How can i cut those up and make em look cool. I have some experience with welding and fabbing.

I have a good idea of the look im after, but the only thing I cant decide on is the finish. Chrome or ceramic coating seems expensive. Powdercoating is getting cheaper but I dont know how it stands up to heat. Headerwrap is cool, but looks better on Ratrods than bikes IMO. Any ideas?

Old 05-22-2009, 12:49 AM
cadillac_dirk
Novice

oh hey old skool, i just looked at some of your pics. MAN! there's something about a peanut tank and apes that looks badarse. What did you use for the black on your pipes?

Old 05-22-2009, 06:16 AM
guitarman023
Road Master

They sell header paint at auto parts stores. Or at least they used to. You can get it in flat black or silver. It's good stuff. Grill paint from walmart works well too. Oh, and powdercoat will hold up to the heat, just make sure you tell them it's for exhaust.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:57 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Post pix of the pipes when your done. If i had a welder and pipe bender I would make a wicked set of pipes.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:20 AM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cadillac_dirk
oh hey old skool, i just looked at some of your pics. MAN! there's something about a peanut tank and apes that looks badarse. What did you use for the black on your pipes?

VHT header paint from autozone, a buddy a mine has a cheapo sand blaster from harbor frieght so after i weded them up we sandblasted them, then i got the paint (its just rattle can) primed it and painted it in the back yard hangin from a tree, then brought it in the grage and hung them with some heat lamps on them for about 2-3 days, and instaled them and did the curing right on the bike, directions on the can

Old 05-22-2009, 01:08 PM
cadillac_dirk
Novice

ok cool, Ive been using duplicolor high heat engine paint on my heatshields. basically did the same thing using heat lamps and space heaters to cure the paint. I havent had any problems with the paint.

Im suprised to hear that rattle can paint holds up the heat of pipes! I figured it would be too much and it flake off. good news

Attached Thumbnails Help! Making my own pipes question...-more-crap-261.jpg  
Old 05-23-2009, 09:57 AM
grimlock
6th Gear

Thanks for the tips and info! When I start on them (It may be a while), I'll post pics of my progress. Cheers!

Old 05-23-2009, 05:50 PM
CrxRex
Advanced

im making my own 2into1 pipe now ill post some pics up when i get it done