Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ape's or drag bars?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 04:15 PM
britboy
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the drags myself.........B.

Attached Thumbnails Ape's or drag bars?-028.jpg  
Old 05-18-2009, 04:17 PM
SHOAT
Road Master

crashin -

The headlight on the 1200/883C mount on the lower triple tree but I understand what your saying. Thanks.

How long have you had the speedometer mounted with cable clamps and have you had any issues with them (coming loose, breaking, etc.)?

Old 05-18-2009, 04:31 PM
Austen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i love my drag bars, i have 27in wide with a 4in pull and a wide center. u need a wide center so the switch housings dont hit the tank. also as far as your back goes, it goes both ways. cus with apes your sitting upright and jarring your spine. as opposed to leaning a lil forward, which is def easier on ur back. it also depends on how ur bars are positioned too. jus my 2 cents

Old 05-18-2009, 04:45 PM
congo_usmc
Tourer

I like the agressive look that drag bars give but apes are bad a$$ and when it comes to comfort cant be beat. its just as easy to handle as it was with the stock bars. cant wait till i get some extra cash so i can change out my risers

Old 05-18-2009, 04:45 PM
motordrum
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drags or broomstick! I've had tall bars also. Drags have much more of a solid, in control feel. And they look awesome!

Old 05-18-2009, 05:00 PM
PHAT A$$
Tourer

Originally Posted by SHOAT
Somber Goat, PHAT A$$,

I hate the stock riser/speedometer mount on my 1200C (no offense to anyone that likes them) and have been looking for ways to replace it. These are ideas that have been posted over the past couple of years.

I would think that the cable clamps would be strong enough to support the speedometer mount - someone actually sells the cable clamps and nuts/bolts as a relocation kit on E-bay.

The cable clamps should fit any round riser as long as you get the correct diameter clamp for the riser (1", 1¼", etc.).

PHAT A$$ - you can put replace the 1200/883C riser with one from any other Sportster but you have to use a different speedometer mount. The bolt pattern on the 1200/883C riser is different from all the others so you can't just swap the top clamp with the integrated speedometer mount to a different riser.
I hear ya on the stock riser... I'm sure you are correct about that top plate, you've clearly done some research... I thoght I saw a post thought where someone was showing the 1st method and some one interjected that you could get a top plate from maybe... a Dyna or bike other than a sporty and it would work. I'l see if I can find it.

I'll keep ya posted... it may be a minute as I just got my burly slammer kit and my pipes so my pockets are empty for now. LOL

Thanks again for the info.

Jason

Old 05-18-2009, 05:38 PM
Botzitaliano
Novice

i just installed the 32'' drag bars with a 4'' pull back and foward controlls on my 05' 883L and i love them changed the whole ride for the better. im 5'8'' and im not hunched over that bad at all. my buddy has the 06' 1200C and he put my buckhorns on his using his stock riser, and supprisingly that looks pretty sweet as well. imo go with the drags. the look and drive with them are great. the bars are cheap only 27 bucks and ive never worked on my bike before and i took the old ones off and installed the new ones in one hour flat

Old 05-18-2009, 09:16 PM
Tike71
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm partial to drag bars

Old 05-19-2009, 08:30 AM
PHAT A$$
Tourer

this sux, I'm truly torn... It seems that it's just as I suspected, that mini apes' will probably be more comfortable, drags could either be good or bad but, look pimp.

I know it's a personal decision. I'll let ya know when I do change them... I think I'm leaning toward the drag bars. Thanks for everyone's ideas and suggestions.

Jason

Old 05-19-2009, 10:02 AM
SHOAT
Road Master

PHAT A$$ -

Pullback T-bars might be the best of both worlds.
Here are a few different ones I found:

Below is a pic of the Nightster riser with has an above the bar integrated speedometer mount. This would work for getting rid of the Custom riser but you would need the riser and top clamp (notice the bolt pattern compared to the Custom riser bolt pattern).

Quick Reply: Ape's or drag bars?