Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good as any dude

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 08:18 AM
Amzie
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good as any dude

I thought I would share a little story of something that happened to me recently.

I live 45 minutes away from any sort of vivid civilization, and my bank. But it is a beautiful drive, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

I only had one day off this particular week, and I needed to make a deposit, so I filled out my paperwork, grabbed my check and fired up the Beastie, for a ride in.
I always get a kick out of going thru the drive thru at my bank ... for obvious 'girl on a Harley' looks.... don't think that will ever get old. Anyway, I was pulling out of the access road when two other Harley riders cruised by me at the stop sign, waiting to merge on to the main road. The burley guy on my side gave me one of those Dating Game (if anyone remembers that old show) blown kisses. I smiled and waved back at them. When the road cleared I merged on and started my trip back.

Two stop lights ahead I found myself right behind them. They waved me up between the two of them. Said they were on their way to Braggs and Camp Gruber. I said I just came by there on my way in. They asked where I was headed, I said no place in particular, thought I might cruise the river road over to Fort Gibson Dam, and they motioned me to take the lead and they would follow. It is a beautiful drive, and I am always surprised at how few people know about it .

I took the lead and about 40 minutes later we were parked above the Dam chatting. They were brothers - both Vietnam vets who were stationed at Gruber before shipping out. They wanted to go back by the place for a little memory lane trip.
They started stripping layers off as the temps climbed, and low and behold, the Burley one's last layer was a Mongols - Tulsa chapter Tshirt. We talked awhile longer, and agreed to show them a back road to get gas, and then onto Camp Gruber, where we would part ways.

River road back to Fort Gibson has some curves that sneek up on you, and you might just have to counter steer to keep from going over into the river. I was into the scenery, and was going a wee bit fast for the last curve, and had to do just that. The bike laid over into the curve as pretty as you please, and shot out the other side, with them behind me.
They wanted to stop at the old fort before we headed up to Gruber, so I took the back road and we pulled up beside it, and they got off for another smoke. Just then I got what might be the best complement I have ever had as a rider. I was told, "you know, you ride that bike as good as any dude I know." Given the history of the two standing before me, I took that as a high complement.

At the convenience store in Braggs, next to the base, we chatted a little longer, wished each other safe travels, hugged, and parted ways. They were headed back to the city, and I was headed home. Never will forget being told I rode as good as any dude.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:23 AM
PHAT A$$
Tourer

sounds like some cool dudes, indeed. nice lil story.

Jason

Old 05-13-2009, 08:37 AM
mississippiboy
Road Captain

thanks for sharing! great story

Old 05-13-2009, 10:13 AM
stng_96
Road Master

So, did the bike get hurt bad? Or did I misread that?

Old 05-13-2009, 10:20 AM
sajackson
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stng_96
So, did the bike get hurt bad? Or did I misread that?
You misread that. She said that she countersteered into the curve and it handled it fine.

Nice story.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:24 AM
wingman1946
Cruiser

When I first started riding 99.9 percent of the ladies rode on the back of the bike. It sure is nice to see and hear of so many of them with their own bike these days. My oldest daughter rode before she was even born. She now has her own V twin and will ride the Oregon coast with me in September. Doesn't get any better than that !!

Old 05-13-2009, 10:46 AM
Trigger1
Intermediate

Very cool story!

Old 05-13-2009, 11:09 AM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great story....
I chucked at the "dude" comment!

Your story is why I ride a Harley....
they make the world a better place...

CC

Last edited by Cheesecake; 05-13-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:49 AM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Awesome story. Makes me want to leave work and go ride.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:43 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

You keep life exciting Amz. Glad all is well.

Sounds like it was good times even with the slide.

Quick Reply: Good as any dude