Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Sporty Rider

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 10:38 PM
sgarrity
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Sporty Rider

So my roommate talked me into taking the MSF BRC back in late March. I'd never been on a motorcycle before but agreed to go so he didn't have to go alone. Long story short.....I aced the test and loved riding!! So of course I started looking for a bike.

My buddy bought a Yamaha R6 sportbike from a friend of ours that only had 600 miles on it. But sportbikes aren't my style and certainly don't look very comfortable. I wanted a cruiser. So I started looking at metric bikes. Of course the more I looked the more I thought about a Harley. My mother rides a Softtail Deluxe afterall. So I finally went to the local Harley dealer and got an education about the different models. I had been watching Craigslist locally and during the same time frame came across an '07 Sportster for a good price. I went and looked at it and bought it about 3 hours later.

The previous owner had been a husband and wife. They both had one but traded them in on a car after only 1k miles. So this bike was almost brand new!! The good news is they spent some $$$ adding the larger 4.5 gal tank, the Willie G. chorme skulls, and Harley bags. It looks good!!

I had my roomy bring it home for me in the rain on Wed. night. I went to the Harley dealer on Thurs. and bought my helmet and a riding jacket. Friday evening I took it through the neighborhood and over to the big K-Mart parking lot behind the house. That was fun. I took it back to the empty parking lot on Saturday to practice turns and starting and stopping which all went well. So Saturday at about 5pm me ant the roomy decide to go grab dinner and ride our bikes. Talk about an experience.....

This was my first real time on the streets. the main drag is four lanes each way and it was packed. Talk about baptism by fire!!! Of course some dumba** pulls right out in front of me but I handled it fine. The ride home was a little smoother.

So today my buddy wants to go on a short ride. that short ride turned out to be 50 miles over twisty country roads with hills. Again....sink or swim. It was definitely a learning experience and I'm glad I did it. Oh......I forgot to mention that I dropped my bike at the gas station while making a u-turn. Smooth, huh?? At least I got the first drop out of the way with just a bruised ego and a scratched shifter.

Pics to follow of the bike. I'm working on customizing it with the full skull package!

Old 05-10-2009, 10:42 PM
sgarrity
Advanced

Pics of the 883 Low

Attached Thumbnails New Sporty Rider-harley-001-small-.jpg   New Sporty Rider-harley-003-small-.jpg   New Sporty Rider-harley-005-small-.jpg   New Sporty Rider-harley-009-small-.jpg   New Sporty Rider-harley-014-small-.jpg  

Old 05-10-2009, 10:44 PM
sgarrity
Advanced

Our bikes after the ride.

Attached Thumbnails New Sporty Rider-harley-015-small-.jpg   New Sporty Rider-harley-020-small-.jpg  
Old 05-10-2009, 11:06 PM
stng_96
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bike looks good, but I thought you said it had the 4.5 gallon tank, do you have it off the bike now? Thats the stock 3.3.

Welcome to the site, and everybody drops them here and there, so, don't worry about it.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:56 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior

welcome to the bike and the site-

nice bike, and ride safe!

Old 05-11-2009, 12:07 AM
bolillo57
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the family, that's a nice looking bike.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:23 AM
Chips
Road Warrior

welcome to Harley World.

that's a nice bike....ride safe

Old 05-11-2009, 05:47 AM
sgarrity
Advanced

Originally Posted by stng_96
bike looks good, but I thought you said it had the 4.5 gallon tank, do you have it off the bike now? Thats the stock 3.3.
Hhmmm......I was just going by what the guy told me that I bought it from. I've had it less than a week and he gave it to me full. So I haven't had to fill it up yet. LOL Maybe he got confused.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:06 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Enjoy the good times.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:08 AM
Chips
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by sgarrity
Hhmmm......I was just going by what the guy told me that I bought it from. I've had it less than a week and he gave it to me full. So I haven't had to fill it up yet. LOL Maybe he got confused.
stng is correct. ...that is the 3.3 gal tank.

Quick Reply: New Sporty Rider