Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Rider, 2009 Iron vs Nightster??

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 04:36 PM
1c571d
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Rider, 2009 Iron vs Nightster??

What's going on all? I am a military member who is deployed, and I have been spending a lot of time looking at HD Irons & Nightsters! I want to buy one while I'm deployed because I will be able to save a bunch of money under the military new sales program.

Anywayz, I like the Iron a bit more than the Nightster. Any advice? I'm 5'10", 190lbs....and absolutely no experience riding at all! Plan to take the military safety course and HD course when I get back to Arizona. Any advice will help!

~1cD

Old 05-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

First off, Thank you for your service to this country.
As for the two bikes you like, they are basically the same bike, the Iron is an 883 while the Nightsters ar a 1200. Both the same chasis so they should sit about the same. I'm not as tall as you, only 5'7" and either scoot fits me just fine. You might need a different seat or bars or foot controls, or any combination of the above.
I do suggest a riders course if you have never ridden a scoot, very helpful and what you learn could save your life.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:45 PM
username17
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an Iron, friend of mine has an 08 Nightster.
Not a huge difference, Nightster is of course a little faster.
I just put new pipes, the same as my Nightster buddy.
Our bikes sound identical.

Some small differences. The Iron handlebars are a little narrower.
Because of that, I have a problem seeing behind me (all I see is my arms).
But he is about the same size as me and can see behind him fine.

Just some minor differences like that.
I guess the big difference is that the Iron's engine is all blacked out.
If you'd want to black out the Nightster, just buy an Iron.

Both bikes are awesome, you won't regret it.
As far as training goes, I'd take the MSF course.
I know for our local base, they require that you take the MSF course every 3 years in order to ride on base.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:01 PM
Willie D
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Again- Thanks for you service to our country.

I have a 2008 Nightster and love it. with the discount for military I would go for the 1200.

JMHO

Old 05-10-2009, 07:57 PM
medic2931
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a little smaller than you and this is my first bike. I love my Iron! I'm 5' 7" and 155. Right now I'm riding stock but soon (I hope this weekend) I'll have a PC V, heavy breather, and Vance and Hines Side Shots. I'd have it done now except I was sent chrome pipes by mistake. Anyway, this 833 has great power for me. The throttle response is great compared to my father-in-laws carb'd 883. It rides great and is very smooth. I'm sure that you'll love either bike but for me, I loved the blacked out look and the silver denim. I'm adding the performance parts plus forwards and mini apes. Good luck on your purchase and thank you for your service. Ride safe!

Old 05-10-2009, 10:58 PM
bolillo57
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by username17
I have an Iron, friend of mine has an 08 Nightster.

Some small differences. The Iron handlebars are a little narrower.
Because of that, I have a problem seeing behind me (all I see is my arms).
But he is about the same size as me and can see behind him fine.

Try flipping your mirrors, you'll be surprised how good this works and you can actually see behind you.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...lipped+mirrors

Old 05-10-2009, 11:21 PM
bolillo57
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1c571d
What's going on all? I am a military member who is deployed, and I have been spending a lot of time looking at HD Irons & Nightsters! I want to buy one while I'm deployed because I will be able to save a bunch of money under the military new sales program.

Anywayz, I like the Iron a bit more than the Nightster. Any advice? I'm 5'10", 190lbs....and absolutely no experience riding at all! Plan to take the military safety course and HD course when I get back to Arizona. Any advice will help!

~1cD
Again, thanks for your service.
As some already stated here definitely take the riders course. Some have stated to take the MSF course, that's ok as the course given on base is the MSF course they just call it differently (you know the military, gotta have it's own name for things)
The Nightster & Iron are essentially the same bike with a few minor differences. main thing is engine size Nightster = 1200cc, Iron 883cc and appearance. Nightsters come in 3 paint schemes, have a a grey finish engine & have laced/spoke wheels. Irons have 2 colors to choose from (BLACK IS WHERE IT'S AT!!) a completely blacked out engine & cast aluminum wheels. My Iron is black, forward controls, "Tribal" design mirrors (flipped), grips, & pegs. Whichever bike you get I'm sure you're going to love it. This is the perfect forum to ask questions, get ideas, learn & just enjoy your scooter. Good luck with whatever you choose (IRON,IRON,IRON) HAVE FUN & RIDE SAFE!

Last edited by bolillo57; 05-10-2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:36 AM
bc419
Advanced

First, thank you for your service.

Like you, I am a new rider. I took the MSF course about a month ago. Picked up a nightster the week after I took the course. So far I love it. The bike AND riding!

I'm 5'10" 175 lbs., and the size of the bike feels just right. I do wish the seat sat back a couple of inches. I will probably get forward controls in the future. For now my knees are fine (even at 37 yrs old), although I haven't gone on trips longer than an hour. We'll see how they feel on longer trips.

Anyway, the bike is great (either one you choose, essentially the same), take the course (sounds like you don't have much of a choice), be safe, & have fun!

brian

Old 05-11-2009, 10:59 AM
Jlister
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

none of you guys ever feel like the Iron is too small of a bike? i heard a lot of people upsizing within a year of having the iron or nightster

Old 05-11-2009, 11:02 AM
k&j eglide
Tourer

First of all, what kind of military discount are you referring to? My son wants to buy a new Harley for his next 3 year duty station (Hawaii, BTW) and asked for my help with the loan, etc. He couldn't turn up any kind of discount. I checked with the dealer in Honolulu, which won't price match, and it's far cheaper for him to buy in SE Michigan and have the Army ship for free. Anyway, depending on your size and what you want to spend, if you are looking at the Nightster for essentially 10K, take a good long look to the Dyna SG for 12K or the SG Custom for 13K (possibly the best "bargain" in the H-D lineup today). In any event, good luck.

Quick Reply: New Rider, 2009 Iron vs Nightster??