Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster as a starter bike...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 11:27 AM
05883L
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started at age 16 on a honda 450 nighthawk , IMO that is the perfect starter bike , cheap, light, and easy to handle.

the way i figure it is , start with a bike that you would just go out to and kick off of the kickstand and not think twice about it , ride it for a season , THEN get the bike you want , but don't fall too much in love with the first bike you get cause more than likely something will happen to it while you are in real world situations with it

But thats just my opinion , I may be wrong

Old 05-10-2009, 11:58 AM
Eyes of Texas
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zacharia_11
IMO the only thing that makes the sporty a starter bike is $$$. If your looking for something to bust up in your first year or two get a shadow, ride it then sell it for the Harley you really want...

And when you come back to harley cause you know you will, take a look at the sporty not as a starter bike, it just a different bike in the harley line up that cost a little less than the Dyna, Softails or Touring.

Peppy bikes that are lots of fun to ride.

IMO that sports bike is a waste of $$$, insurance will kill you if the bike doesn't.

My coverage on my 1300cc hayabusa is less than $300 / yr. with theft. I don't and never have had full coverage.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:35 PM
scotty-j
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oltrout
A bike will only go as fast as you turn the throttle....#1 thing is not to be afraid of it or you will never enjoy it.
i still think that a lil fear will keep you in check, it's when you loose/overcome the fear that is when people get stupid on them.

another biker bought it this week....i know one of the firemen.....a kid on a sport bike traveling at over 100 miles an hour on a busy 4 lane IN TOWN had a van pull out from a driveway, the kid did not have time to hit the brakes and t-boned the van and died instantly

http://mystateline.com/content/fulltext/?cid=64562

Attached Thumbnails Sportster as a starter bike...-picture-1.jpg  
Old 05-10-2009, 01:01 PM
killer scott
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an 883, and I feel it's a fine starter bike. I love it. I started on it last year. I will tell you that my girlfriend just got a new CBR600RR and it would be much more to handle for a starter. They just carry a lot of speed, and throttle response is touchy, breaks are really sensative. It is just geared for speed, and maybe a little too "sharp" for a beginner with less room for screw ups.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Austen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i started on an 08 ninja 250, then decided i needed a bigger bike and bought a nightster. no regrets, if i were to get a crotch rocket, it would be a buell 1125cr

Attached Thumbnails Sportster as a starter bike...-bike11.jpg  
Old 05-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Sethiroth
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bought my nightster last summer as my first bike. I had never even rode a motorcycle before, and had only been on dirtbikes about 5 times in my mid teens.

Its the greatest thing I had ever bought. I never drive my truck unless its raining.
I did drop it once. It was on the side with the exhaust. All it did was scratch the stock exhaust (which was getting changed anyways) and the front brake lever. I just got some black model paint and touched it up and you can't even tell it was ever dropped!

It also was very easy to pick up (to my surprise!)

Anyways, I say go for a sportster, forget the shadow, and stay the hell away from crotch rockets. Those things kill people and are uncomfortable to ride at slow speeds.

And always remember, ride smart, and slow down before turns, not in them!

Old 05-10-2009, 03:29 PM
NunnC
Stage II

Wow, 24 replies in less than 24 hours. Thanks for all the advice.

Taking into account what you guys have said, I was talking to buddy who's selling and Im gonna go out and test drive it next week and see how I like it.

Thanks again.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:45 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

skip the Shadow and get an 883

Old 05-10-2009, 06:08 PM
ridzalot
Tourer

I got my 03 Sporty 1200 because it is a hundred year anniversary edition and only had 4300 miles on it. I got it two months ago. I did not have a liscence and had not riden in 35 years, only friends bikes. never been on a harley before. I took the Harley MSC and have put about 2000 miles on it since. I love it. Some folks told me it was very uncomfortable, before I got it. I am 62 and have atheritis in my hips. This Harley makes my body feel like I've just had a full body massage. If I go 2 days without riding I hurt. As far as the getup and go, I'll put it up against any stock bike around.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Ric27
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Filmy
A Harley-Davidson is more a state of mind than anything else. It's an icon in the motorcycle arena. There is Harley... and there is everything else.

That said, if you don't want a Harley in particular (for the heritage, for the respect, for the image, whatever) then you probably should start with something else. Thing is, so many riders who start with that "something else" always seem to want a Harley after all is said and done. Other bikes are cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain, attract cheaper women ( - J/K) and Harleys aren't known for their dependability. You have to really want a Harley to have and keep a Harley.

It's sorta like dating a stripper: you know there are gonna be problems down the road, but that damn desirability factor always trumps good sense. And like a stripper, good/high maintenance with your Harley is the key.

Up to you what kind of rider you are, or want to be. There's nothing wrong with metric bikes, they're just part of that "everything else" I mentioned earlier.

Good luck and ride safe.
This is what open registration to the forum gets us. Shees....

Filmy, just what is it that stirs your desirability factor?

NunnC, you should be able to get a fine 2000 883 with low milage, no damage with extras for well below $5k. Look around (craig's list)

Last edited by Ric27; 05-10-2009 at 10:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Sportster as a starter bike...