Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

buy 08' sportster 1200c or 08' roadstar 1700?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 08:28 PM
ddtt
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buy 08' sportster 1200c or 08' roadstar 1700?

I came across 2 good deals for each bike, I want a harley but decided I don't want to spend over 10k right now for one. Anyway, I have opportunity for a 1200c 08' with 300 miles, looks brand new, with V&H pipes, also have an opportunity for a bigger bike in the roadstar, both are 9,000. Realizing how I want a Harley, but thinking maybe I should get the bigger bike in the roadstar has me undecided. I wish I'd hit the lottery and get one of each Harley made and start a collection. But reality right now is not the case. That said, I know you are all Harley fans, I am too, but all considered a larger bike easier for two up riding, and honestly the roadstar is not a bad piece of metal, looks good too, but damn do I want a Harley. Can you all who own 1200c's or any sportster for that matter offer any experience or input on things I may like more about the 1200c over roadstar and vice versa? I need to write all the pros and cons out on paper and want to make sure I get them all down so I can give a fair shake for each bike. I know, I know support the USA, buy the harley,well honestly are Harleys still to this day truly 100% American, I may be wrong though. thanks for any help, feedback.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:52 PM
tumbleweed883
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ddtt
...well honestly are Harleys still to this day truly 100% American, I may be wrong though. thanks for any help, feedback.
Even if ALL the parts are not made in the U.S. at least you would be supporting an American business and American workers.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:05 PM
killer scott
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Generally speaking, someone attempting to quantify the experience of owning a Harley-Davidson, vs. something else, maybe won't see the same "pros" that most of us do. I think the only real thing you will gain over the Roadstar is the feeling that you finally got a Harley, which it seems like you want someday.

On the other hand I don't really see many benefits to the Roadstar. It really isn't physically much larger. and for the 500cc gain in displacement, it appears it only gains like 10 HP... You could get that out of the 1200 c with a stage I upgrade, which it probably already has with those VnH pipes. The 1200 wont have any problems pulling you and most ladies anyway.

What year is the roadstar? Is it fuel injected?

Old 05-07-2009, 09:28 PM
ddtt
Novice

Originally Posted by killer scott
Generally speaking, someone attempting to quantify the experience of owning a Harley-Davidson, vs. something else, maybe won't see the same "pros" that most of us do. I think the only real thing you will gain over the Roadstar is the feeling that you finally got a Harley, which it seems like you want someday.

On the other hand I don't really see many benefits to the Roadstar. It really isn't physically much larger. and for the 500cc gain in displacement, it appears it only gains like 10 HP... You could get that out of the 1200 c with a stage I upgrade, which it probably already has with those VnH pipes. The 1200 wont have any problems pulling you and most ladies anyway.

What year is the roadstar? Is it fuel injected?

It is an 08 roadstar, yes fuel injected, it seems much larger than the sportster, though the 1200c is by no means a small bike.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:30 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Buy the Roadstar, it sounds like a much better deal for the money...NOT!!!
If you buy the Roadstar you will always wish you bought the Harley, if you buy the Harley you'll never wish you bought the Roadstar...enough said.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:34 PM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

killer said a mouth full, good stuff.

my take, i have owned a kawi that i loved, i did every posible thing (at that time i knew to do) as far as customizing goes and at the end of the day it still didn't turn into a harley, sounds dumb but with all the customizing in the world you will still not get the HD feel.

now, the custom is a great bike, big gas tank for long huals, possibilities for 2 up ridding with moderate comfort (really depends on the type of girl ya got and the amount of riddin you do, some girls can handle a rigid for 250 miles at a shot, some can't handle a ultra for more than 100) my wife is 5' nothin and 120lbs and she feels fine on it....or when it had a back seat . i think you will find the 1200 is enough power for you, you can zip around town or hop on the highway and do a 500 mile day (if you have the right seat, suspension or ***** )

look i really can't tell ya the feeling of owning an HD and customizing it to make it your own, that is something you will have to experience your self, but i can tell you no other bike i have road has done it for me.

as far as the roadstar, my dad had one, he loved it, got him everywhere he wanted to go, was customizable with easy access to aftermarket parts, had the pick up he felt was important, but i'll tell ya what he got that because he wanted a harley and it didn't fill his desire for it.

seems like in yr post you answered yr own question in saying you always wanted an HD, get one you won't regret it

Old 05-07-2009, 09:40 PM
tiger_rider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are buying the Harley used you are not supporting any American industry by "Buying American". Only the guy that buys it new is supporting an American industry.

The Roadstar is a superb bike. You would definitely be getting more bike for your money, and if you ever want to tour, you are going to be far more comfortable on the Yam. That said, you could be riding in comfort still wishing you had bough the Harley.

Decisions, decisions

Old 05-07-2009, 10:16 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I ride an '08 1200C.

Obviously, I love it. I bought it and *did not* trade it in under that sweet deal. Test rode a Low Rider and everything. (I used my trade-in differential money to buy a new KLR.)

The 1200 has plenty of grunt. Put a sissy bar on there and you'll be able to ride two-up no problem. I do. Unless you and your girl are 250 lbs each.....it's plenty comfortable!

My bike has 13K on it. It gets smoother and smoother. No mechanical issues--yet (knock on wood!)

Why did I choose a Harley? Well, why do you want one so bad?

Why did I not choose a metric cruiser? Because they're unnecessarily large, like an inflated cartoon bike, with exaggerated proportions. But even if you get past the style, they don't have the build quality and solid feel of the Harley.

Practical reasons: you can get parts for Harleys for as long as you own it. And the after-market is the best of any brand.

Ride the two and see how they handle. Neither one is a sport bike, but the Sporty is pretty nimble.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:25 PM
killer scott
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Something to quantify!

assuming you are going to trade either in someday for a larger bike, the sporty will hold its value for later sale better.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:03 PM
guitarman023
Road Master

something else to think about, most jap bikes are only supported by the company for 10 years. After that you have to buy parts on ebay, and NOS.

Quick Reply: buy 08' sportster 1200c or 08' roadstar 1700?