Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 04:54 PM
nighty18b
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning help!!!

i purchased a new black nightster 2 months ago. I have a few questions, cleaning related, so I'll just list them. I'm so mad I can't get my bike clean!!!

1. The tops of the heads seem cloudy and smudge. I'm pretty sure theyre chrome. I used soap and a scruffy pad to try and gently remove the smudges but its just worse. WHAT CAN I USE!!! i feel like i broke a new toy.

2. The same thing as above, but my derby cover looks like HELL. its all cloudy and I can't seem to get it clean. please send me suggestions and/or products that help.

3. Can I use a power washer at a car cleaning place? where should I avoid power washing (cables, electrical, etc)

4. How do I get the shine back (like it had when I bought it)???? All over my paint it looks shiny and ok, but if you look closely its got dirt and stuff seemingly engrained in the paint!!

5. I know it sounds dumb - but please email me a list of product to use, where to use them, and (sigh) how to actually wash my new bike.

thanks
super frustrated,

Joe

Old 05-04-2009, 05:22 PM
papadop88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nighty18b
i purchased a new black nightster 2 months ago. I have a few questions, cleaning related, so I'll just list them. I'm so mad I can't get my bike clean!!!

1. The tops of the heads seem cloudy and smudge. I'm pretty sure theyre chrome. I used soap and a scruffy pad to try and gently remove the smudges but its just worse. WHAT CAN I USE!!! i feel like i broke a new toy.

2. The same thing as above, but my derby cover looks like HELL. its all cloudy and I can't seem to get it clean. please send me suggestions and/or products that help.

3. Can I use a power washer at a car cleaning place? where should I avoid power washing (cables, electrical, etc)

4. How do I get the shine back (like it had when I bought it)???? All over my paint it looks shiny and ok, but if you look closely its got dirt and stuff seemingly engrained in the paint!!

5. I know it sounds dumb - but please email me a list of product to use, where to use them, and (sigh) how to actually wash my new bike.

thanks
super frustrated,

Joe

1. They seem cloudy or smudge because they are NOT chrome. They're polished, therefore not achieving that chrome shine you're looking for. Hopefully you didn't scuff em up too bad with the scruffy pad.

2. Derby is the same as the heads. They're polished. You can go to your local auto store and pick up some polishes and cleansers for these types of finishes.

3. You can, but I prefer not to use power washers. They can start to cause a whole lot of problems if they get into places you don't want. They can also strip the grease between certain joints, so be careful. You will want to cover the air cleaner (if exposed) with a plastic bag so you don't soak the filter. Other than that, just be careful where you spray. You don't have to cover your handlebar housings or anything, but be careful of getting water in the fuse box by your left cover.

4. Swirl removers, waxes, quick detailers all work well. Try Meguires, Mothers, Purple Slice, etc etc. There's thousands out there. I just use Meguire's quick detailer spray and it keeps my bike shiny and new without having to wash it.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:55 PM
pjweber
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

If you want your aluminum to look like chrome, try this. By far the best polish and selaer around.

http://www.metalgloss.com/