Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixed at last!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Amzie
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry it took so long to answer - my computer days are few and far between these days.

Yes I do believe the valve seals were a part of the problem. Forgive me, my recall is 'challenged' working like I do - I do remember he said something about the ones they first put in were orange and the ones that needed to go back in are black (or visa versa) I remembered it because I thought ... wonder why color has a part in this? LOL

The repair list is - Clamp, Hose, Gasket Kit, Top End XL, Piston Ring Set & the rest is associated with the 25K service - O rings, Gasket Clutch Cover SXU, Sparks, Gasket inspection Cover, Tube MH90-21 center metal, Filter, Chrome spin, Oil etc....

I began to notice the oil use before I left for the South West trip, but the dealer then kept telling me it was 'normal usage'. On the trip some of you might remember I ran into several other Okies who traveled with me for awhile ... after several pit stops, oil checks and such, they commented that I shouldn't have to be adding oil like I was (none of their bikes used a drop, and they came almost the same distance as I had). That made me seriously question the dealer and I asked around on the forum when I returned. Same story from that dealer ... then I began to talk to people who had that service dept too. They were not happy with the service manager either ... so anyway, a year later, a different dealer... all is good with the world!

One last thing to accomplish before my next trip ... a few more 'chrome cash' certificates from my Harley card... and I am going to get some new handle bars... something that will allow me to kick back more on my highway pegs... instead of being U shaped reaching for the bars.

Thanks again guys ... always good to know you are here!

Old 05-09-2009, 12:14 PM
SpursDarkrider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear you solved the problem. Its amazing how a change of dealerships can have such dramatic change.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:42 PM
congo_usmc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i love it wen you can finally find someone that knows what they are talking about.