Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pictures of Damage to Medusa

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 06:29 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, before I write more, let me be clear that I think the dealer has really effed
you and needs to do whatever it takes to make it right at no cost to you.

But I think this is what you are likely going to run into.

1) They are going to say that they did the work at your direction.
2) They are going to say that they did NOT "recommend" anything, they
just told you what you could do and what equipment was available in
response to your questions.
3) They are going to deny anything that puts them on the spot that was not
in writing and I'll bet nothing is.
4) They are going to deny that they ever told you "everything is OK" or that it
ran well.
5) That since they did all this work at YOUR request, they aren't responsible for
damage caused by improperly working aftermarket parts that YOU demanded.
6) That you knowingly violated your warranty.
7) That the warranty is now invalid.
8) That they will be happy to soak you for every penny you own in sorting
it out.

OK, given all that, you need to cut them off at the knees by carefully and calmly
writing down a very detailed sequence of events that is a pure description,
not an accusation. "On such-and-such a date, they told me "X" and that I
should try "Y" and I agreed".

Once you have that down cold and ABSOLUTELY COMPLETE, write a really calm
but very specific letter outlining what has happened, the dealer's role in it
and exactly what you expect them to do to make it right.

Call MoCo and find out who to contact with a serious warranty bitch. Send
both the outline and the letter to both the dealer and MoCo giving them one
week to come up with an acceptable solution (I'd say a completely new crate
engine seems in order) to restoring your bike to full, normal, stock condition
as well as compensating you for the wasted money you sank into ill-advised
modifications.

Contact your local TV station's rip-off reporter (almost all have one) and
fill them in on what's going on. If you have a Lemon Law in your state, file a
claim NOW. If you paid for the work via credit card, call the card company and
find out what their process is for contesting the charges based on terrible
workmanship. You might be surprised how well that can work. I've done it
on several occasions.

Best of luck..

Old 04-30-2009, 08:32 PM
tinman67
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you saying you took it in stock, running rough and backfiring and they told you these mods would fix the problem? If so, I would have left right then and found another dealer to correctly diagnose the problem. Or was it running rough, backfiring after the mods? If so they didn't have the mapping correct for the mods. Still, that much damage in that short of period should not happen even w/a bad map. At my dealership, I was told any mods and add ons done at the dealership would not void my warranty. (told, not written)
Originally Posted by soup7562
Running rough, back firing, loss of power.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:28 PM
soup
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tinman67
Are you saying you took it in stock, running rough and backfiring and they told you these mods would fix the problem? If so, I would have left right then and found another dealer to correctly diagnose the problem. Or was it running rough, backfiring after the mods? If so they didn't have the mapping correct for the mods. Still, that much damage in that short of period should not happen even w/a bad map. At my dealership, I was told any mods and add ons done at the dealership would not void my warranty. (told, not written)
No the bike was not stock when I first started having issues. I complained that the bike felt sluggish at times, running rough, spitting back firing and did not have enough power for me. Felt like she had a dead spot around 1/2 throttle. I was told the PC would increase my HP, once the PC was installed she ran great for about a week, problems started to pop up again. Took it back, they said they had to tweak it a little, said the plugs were fouled because she was running rich, and also changed the fluids. Picked the bike up on Friday, ( they had the bike for 6 days) and ran her up to the Pocono's ( about 100 miles) ran good no problems, put about 50 miles on her while up there. Left to come home on Sunday, got about 15-20 miles from home when she completely crapped out.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:48 PM
killer scott
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Be persistant, and let them know that you will want to talk to HD if they are having a problem covering it. Isn't the rule that anything the dealer instals is covered?

Last edited by killer scott; 04-30-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:29 PM
papadop88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by killer scott
Be persistant, and let them know that you will want to talk to HD if they are having a problem covering it. Isn't the rule that anything the dealer instals is covered?
Technically it has to be genuine HD products or HD approved aftermarket products...I spoke to my buddy at the dealer and told him soup's situation. He said even if the dealer installed the PC, pipes, and AC which none of them are genuine HD products or approved, the MoCo does not have to warranty. Even if they might not have caused the problem, they can always say they attributed to it.

With that said, he told me that if they (my dealer) installed that stuff on a customer's bike and it hit the chit, they would make it right no matter what, even though, they could tell him to screw off. My dealer is in it for the long haul, not the quick sale. Dealers who value customer loyalty would make it right.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:40 PM
performanceisthekey
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soup7562
As soon as he started talking sh-- about the PC I knew this was gonna go downhill. I reminded him again that the PC was installed on their recommendation because I was having power issues. I also informed him that the PC was only on the bike for 2wks, and during that time she was brought back to the shop at least twice. He then started to question the bugs eye air cleaner, again installed on their rec. because of sluggish response, only on the bike for a little more than a month or two. No way that damage is caused in such a short period of time. Then he says if MoCO won't honor the warranty he will eat 1/2 the cost!!! Are you fk--n kidding me? If I did not have Sean with me I would have definitely went ape sh-t, as it stands I'm waiting for the bottom to drop out on this. Either way this is not gonna end well for someone.
Review this, and remind the dealer of it as well:

http://www.morethantires.com/MagnusonMoss.html

Bottom line, they have to PROVE that the add on or aftermarket part was to blame. SO let them prove it.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:42 PM
performanceisthekey
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by papadop88
Technically it has to be genuine HD products or HD approved aftermarket products...I spoke to my buddy at the dealer and told him soup's situation. He said even if the dealer installed the PC, pipes, and AC which none of them are genuine HD products or approved, the MoCo does not have to warranty. Even if they might not have caused the problem, they can always say they attributed to it.

With that said, he told me that if they (my dealer) installed that stuff on a customer's bike and it hit the chit, they would make it right no matter what, even though, they could tell him to screw off. My dealer is in it for the long haul, not the quick sale. Dealers who value customer loyalty would make it right.
Not true see:

http://www.morethantires.com/MagnusonMoss.html

If the dealer is stating that, they have to under federal law provide the part for free.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:01 PM
papadop88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The parts we are talking about are high performance parts, not replacements for original parts. Its one thing to talk about tuners and other high performance products which change OEM specs and performance, and its another to talk about changing an oil filter that is not HD or using Mobil oil vs HD syn 3, etc etc., which the Magnuson act refers to.