Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bag options for nightster

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010 | 11:46 AM
alfran
Advanced

Anybody with the licks solo bag or one similar know if you have to remover the passenger peg? It looks like you cant use when riding 2 up. Also how easy is it to remove when not needed.

Old 10-08-2010 | 11:56 AM
SgtSkiddz
Ultimate HDF Member

I don't own one, but the people at Lick's say that all you have to do is put at least a one inch spacer between the peg bracket and the frame and they will work just fine. I have seen where some people say they used a 2" spacer.

Old 10-08-2010 | 12:25 PM
Wander
Tourer

I've got a Licks' Solo for running around and going to work and one of these for roadtrips.
http://www.amazon.com/Ogio-Tail-Bag-.../dp/B0035JLODK

The tail bag sits nicely on the fender, quickly detaches, and IMO looks pretty good. I can fit Jeans, 4 T shirts, 3 socks, 2 LS T Shirts and a pair of shoes in there and theres room to spare....thats about all I need for 3-4 days.

Old 10-08-2010 | 02:35 PM
rdltmc3
Intermediate

I was always a fan of the fork bag and swingarm bag. Not to keen on saddles

Old 10-08-2010 | 03:23 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Wander
I've got a Licks' Solo for running around and going to work and one of these for roadtrips.

The tail bag sits nicely on the fender, quickly detaches, and IMO looks pretty good. I can fit Jeans, 4 T shirts, 3 socks, 2 LS T Shirts and a pair of shoes in there and theres room to spare....thats about all I need for 3-4 days.
I need something exactly like that! So it doesn't scratch or hurt the fender at all? I don't have a luggage rack on my 48 and don't want one. Right now, I'm just using a backpack.

Old 10-08-2010 | 10:46 PM
Wander
Tourer

Originally Posted by SgtThump
I need something exactly like that! So it doesn't scratch or hurt the fender at all? I don't have a luggage rack on my 48 and don't want one. Right now, I'm just using a backpack.
It's got a built in rubber pad to protect the paint, I fit a netbook in it today which surprised me. I ran two straps around my signal lights and the other two between the fender and struts and the bag doesn't move and has not damaged the paint whatsoever.
Ogio has a lifetime guarantee on the zippers which is great as that seems to always be the thing that fails first.

Old 10-14-2010 | 03:23 PM
jtice
Banned

Originally Posted by MattV
Did you see this guy's idea? Brilliant IMO

Modified Playstation portable box case...It's his license plate bracket

Now that is a slick ingenious idea, I hate to steal ideas, but I might have to make an exception with this one!
Was there a thread or writeup on this anywhere?

Old 10-14-2010 | 03:56 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

EDIT - DOH! I forgot I already asked this question and you answered! What an idiot I am. My apologies.

About that "tail bag..." I saw one of those yesterday at a local HD dealer and was seriously thinking about it. I don't want to put a rack on my bike (solo seat), but I could really use some kind of bag for short overnight trips. Does that special bottom on that bag REALLY not damage the paint at all? Seems like it could.

Old 10-14-2010 | 06:29 PM
Wander
Tourer

Originally Posted by SgtThump
About that "tail bag..." I saw one of those yesterday at a local HD dealer and was seriously thinking about it. I don't want to put a rack on my bike (solo seat), but I could really use some kind of bag for short overnight trips. Does that special bottom on that bag REALLY not damage the paint at all? Seems like it could.
I bought it for a 3 day/2 night approx. 1200 mile ride we did in Sept. I packed it til it looked like it would burst, which it didn't, and slapped it on the back of the Nightster. No muss no fuss, on and off in a flash and no damage so far. Thats about all I can tell you at this point Thump

Old 10-14-2010 | 08:56 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

I bought it for a 3 day/2 night approx. 1200 mile ride we did in Sept. I packed it til it looked like it would burst, which it didn't, and slapped it on the back of the Nightster. No muss no fuss, on and off in a flash and no damage so far. Thats about all I can tell you at this point Thump
I feel like an idiot. I made that second post, because I didn't realize I already asked you the exact same question a few posts earlier. LOL! You answered already.

Then I went back into the second post to mention that I'm an idiot, but I put my comments in the quoted post.

Jesus Christ... I'm nowhere near new to this Internet stuff (been on boards since 96 or so), but I feel like a moron. I guess I should really pay more attention.

Thanks for the answer (twice.) I saw a bag like this yesterday at a local stealer and thought about it. I may just have to pick that up. Seems perfect for me!