Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage I, rejetting question

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 03:58 PM
sdw8
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage I, rejetting question

When I installed the SE II slip ons and SE filter on my 2001 883 sporty I went with a 45 slow and a 165 main which seems fine but a buddy of mine purchased a 2000 883 sporty and took it straight to the dealership to install the same pipes and filter I have but when he picked it up the work order showed only replacing the slow from a 42 to a 45 and no change to the main. So he ask to speak with the tec who done the work about not changing the main as he requested and was told that making that change was not really nessary for SE II slip ons and SE filter now Im confused ? It was my understanding it would run lean and cause damage and now I have him worried, Any input would help. Thanks

Old 05-07-2006, 04:35 PM
Black Katalyst
Intermediate
Default RE: Stage I, rejetting question

I went to the dealership looking for a 180 main and a 45 slow for my Hooker Exhaust and Hyper Charger. The parts manager told me that the main didn't have to be changed, but Kuryakyn says that both should be changed. So I too have been looking for this reasoning but haven't found any information.

I'm going to change both and if its running too ritch I'll swap out the main.

Does his bike run any differently from yours? or vice versa?

If either of you have backfiring out the exhaust or the carb, blackening of the plugs or black/blue smoke, something is wrong. But if nothing is happening, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Since you have bigger jets, your bike might be a little faster than his anyways.

Old 05-07-2006, 04:44 PM
1200c
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the logic behind that. For emissions the pilot jet is too lean, while the main jet is actually too rich. I think it helps with some part of emissions testing to have the main too rich. Don't ask me what exactly because I have no clue. For example, on the rubbermounts cali bikes will have a 185 main, but the other states will have a 180 main. Cali has much stricter emissions, but yet they are using a much richer main jet. Thus, when you do stage 1 you should move up one size on the pilot and leave the main alone as it is almost perfect. Many have also reported a remarkable difference by adding one or two shims. This is basically just a rule of thumb thing that works for most bikes.

The reality: you do to your bike what it needs. The aforementioned stuff is just a guideline that works for most people, but each bike is unique. You need to be able to read what your bike wants and works best for you. Some bikes may run better with one shim while others might run better with two shims. For some 2 turns out of the mixture screw may be where you want to be, for other 2.5 turns.

Old 05-07-2006, 05:45 PM
NEW2HD
Cruiser

1200 C,

That is good advice. My problem is though, that I dont know a bunch about HD's and what their little quircks are. So do I just hope that the tech will have time to ride the bike before a service appt, if the bike has problems, or do I just pay for them to put it on the dyno?

Sorry for barging in on the thread.