Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update on Medusa

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 01:28 PM
soup
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Update on Medusa

Just got back from the dealer. Here's what I got so far, and it looks like I may have dodged a major bullet.They are now saying that the current problems are being caused by the PC5 I just had installed. They have been on the phone w/ Dyna. As it stands now, I have to have my Heavy Breather re-installed, they have to re-map the bike again as well as reload the PC5 to the proper specs. (I've recently heard that there have been some issues with the PC5) If this does not correct the problem, they will drop kick the PC5 re-install the 02 sensors and re-map her to those specs. As of now they are saying that they see no internal damage to the engine. As I stated before, I'm not even trying to pretend to be a mechanic, but my confidence in these guys is gone, she has been in the shop 3 times since the PC was installed, I went ahead and visited a local indy that has some really good street cred. This will be the last time the dealer sees her, I don't care if the bike is under warranty.

Last edited by soup; 04-28-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:40 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Well hopefully they get it right Soup but don't blame you for wanting to shy away from there. Most I know that went with the PC V Love it ... I went with PCIII on my 08 because familiar with it and tried and true the 5 was really set up for 09's but with all good results from most I know that have one.. Anyhow Glad to see you back in the Saddle...

Old 04-28-2009, 01:44 PM
papadop88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear of no internal damage bro. But before there IS internal damage, get rid of the PC and get an SEST. I'm no mechanic either but from what I've seen with my own eyes and heard from my bud @ the dealer, I just pass this info along from pretty credible sources...not pretend mechanics. Motors are one things, electrical stuff, I leave it to the experts.

If the PC ends up frying ur bike, HD probably won't warranty it. Those guys at the dealer seem like dumba$$es.

Sell the PC and use the $ towards an SEST. You won't be disppointed. Might cost you a little bit more out of pocket right now, but it might save you from having to buy an new ECM down the road.

just my $.02

Old 04-28-2009, 01:59 PM
Hawg295
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Pciii

I have a PCIII on my 07 1200C. It works great. I tweaked the fuel cells a little after the dyno and it runs great. Maybe you should send the PCV back and get a new one? An indy did my dyno and I haven't had any problems, except some decel popping which I eliminated by adding 10 then up to 14 in the zero column from 1000 rpm up to 5500.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:24 PM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

glad it worked out...

Old 04-28-2009, 05:30 PM
soup
Road Captain

Just got off the phone with the dealer. I was told they were able to actually get a hold of a tech that was certified from Dynojet who walked them through the whole process of re-mapping the bike. She has now been re calibrated for a SE Heavy Breather with Basanni pro street pipes. They ran her for about 5 miles in heavy stop n go traffic and say she is running like a beast. I reminded them that this is exactly what they said last week. They are going to keep her for another day or two and run her several more times to ensure that all is well. So hopefully this will end the problem once and for all. Here's my question. Am I out of line stating that I should not be charged for any of this? This is her third trip to the dealer for the same issues, not running right, backfiring, this time it was much worse with the blowing of the white smoke. I did ask about the smoke,and the knocking and clanking, they said because she was so far out of the matrix she was running extremely rich again, basically she was starving for air, at high speeds it was not noticeable. But as soon as I came to a stop in traffic she went hay wire. I still say this should be on their dime not mine.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:40 PM
jbg
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's worth a shot. I'd definetly try it. 3 times and they missed it... mention that you might write to Harley directly and let them know how incompetent this dealer is.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:45 PM
papadop88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NO WAY IN HELL should you have to pay for their screw up. Not your fault for their incompetence.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:05 PM
stng_96
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed, don't pay a dime. Maybe just a nickle!

Old 04-28-2009, 07:07 PM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member

their mess up let them clean it up now

Quick Reply: Update on Medusa