Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 02:04 PM
Moose69
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SportyPig
Doesn't the Roadster have a Tach? If the clutch is slipping, you should be able to see that on the tach.
Sporty - yes it does have a tach and after the ride home yesterday - watching the tach while accelerating - I do not think it is slipping. I must have been looking for something on the ride in to work Monday. I thought at work that if it is slipping i would see a momve in rpms that did not translate to go and did not have that happen going home. I am going to adjust again just for kicks and play with the lever play via the cable adjuster.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:30 AM
Moose69
Novice

Ok well I adjusted by the book again - man it is easy. Still seeing the friction point towards the end of the lever release. Here is the thing, the manual says look for a 1/16th to an 1/8th of an inch play at the ferrel....I have that - used a dime to get teh right gap. For me to move the friction point closer to the grip it seems that 1/8th of an inch play is not enough. Anyone else have more play in their ferrel than what the manual says? The only other thing I could think of is maybe the cable is too stretched? Any guidance would be great. It shifts great, just does not seem right to have the friction point that high. Thanks fellas.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:04 AM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When you adjust the clutch under the cover, make sure you have your cable loose at the cable adjustment. Make your adjustment on the clutch, then make your slack adjustment with the cable. The adjustment on the cable is only for the slack on the cable.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:30 AM
Moose69
Novice

Originally Posted by Gpsjr10
When you adjust the clutch under the cover, make sure you have your cable loose at the cable adjustment. Make your adjustment on the clutch, then make your slack adjustment with the cable. The adjustment on the cable is only for the slack on the cable.

Yea that is what I have done....I will just have to keep playing with it....luckily it is an easy adjustment.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:53 AM
Sick1200
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you adjust at the derby cover again?

Old 04-29-2009, 01:17 PM
Moose69
Novice

Originally Posted by Sick1200
Did you adjust at the derby cover again?

Yes. Did the whole thing again from scratch. Before I adjusted there was definately more than 1/8th of an inch in play at the ferrel so I think the previous owner or the tech that did the 1000k tune-up must have played with the cable adjuster to move the friction point. As I see it if I increase the about of play at the lever it shoudl move the friction point closer to the grip. I could be wrong. It shifts great....I woudl just like to move the friction point.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:54 PM
Grammaton
Road Master

Originally Posted by Moose69
Yes. Did the whole thing again from scratch. Before I adjusted there was definately more than 1/8th of an inch in play at the ferrel so I think the previous owner or the tech that did the 1000k tune-up must have played with the cable adjuster to move the friction point. As I see it if I increase the about of play at the lever it shoudl move the friction point closer to the grip. I could be wrong. It shifts great....I woudl just like to move the friction point.
The engagement/free travel is set with the screw under the derby cover. The cable slack is set with the ferrule. Loosen the cable all the way before adjusting the screw.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:10 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Moose69
If you just put more play at the lever you won't be able to fully release the clutch when you pull the lever in... My friction zone is probably about 1/2 to 2/3 out. I think that is about normal.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:15 PM
Moose69
Novice
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Gpsjr10
If you just put more play at the lever you won't be able to fully release the clutch when you pull the lever in... My friction zone is probably about 1/2 to 2/3 out. I think that is about normal.
Ok if your is out that far I feel better as that is about the same for me. I will play under the derby again tonight....the vagueness of 'until you hit resistance' I think is probably part of the issue. Maybe I went to much into resistance?

Thanks again for everyone chiming in. This is my ride to work so I need it to work.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:47 PM
Sick1200
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want immediate clutch response adjust it again at the derby with the clutch cable completely loosened (apart) and tighten the nut til you feel resistance then slightly back it off. Not 1/8 of a turn or 1/4 of a turn but just slightly turn it off the resistance point.

Quick Reply: Clutch Adjustment