Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Medusa died.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 08:30 PM
soup
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Medusa died.

So I'm on my way home from the Pocono Mountains today, I get about 15 miles from home, right after the Pa. Turnpike tolls and my bike starts to make a loud clattering noise. Sounds like your car after you throw a rod, shes knocking and banging and starts blowing white smoke, I pull over shut her down and call the dealer, now she was just in the shop for a week cause she wasn't running right ( I don't pretend to be a mechanic, besides she is still under warranty) I picked her up on Friday and they swore all was well, changed the plugs and all the fluids as well as re-mapped her again!! So after waiting an hour on the side of the Blue Route in 90 degree heat the truck finally shows up. I get her to the dealer, guys starts her up and right away says " That don't sound right" No Friggin s---! Then he notices the white smoke pouring out of her pipes and says " Yeah, we got a problem" so now I'm down 1 scoot with what looks to be major repairs!!! These a--clowns had the bike for a week because I said there was a problem, told me she was running rich so they had to re-map her back to stock? I'm not a mechanic but that just didn't sound right. But hey they know more than I do right? So like I said Medusa is now terminal for lack of a better word, initial diagnosis is a blown motor. I don't even know if that's right. I do know that I made my unhappiness very clear in front of several customers about their inability to fix my ride. First nice weather of the year, who knows when I'm gonna get her back.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:34 PM
tumbleweed883
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, to be honest she didnt look too good to begain with...lets face it, she was all bones...

Sorry to hear though...hope you get her fixed soon.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:51 PM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn soup that sucks! I hope you get her back soon! god speed!!!

Old 04-26-2009, 08:53 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

damn soup.........at least it was on a saturday when the shop was open. who knows what's goin on in that motor but the good thing is it's all under warranty. keep chuggin' (even if you are without the bike for a bit) and you'll be back in no time, you got all summer. just stay on top of those a-holes!

Old 04-26-2009, 09:32 PM
203Cree
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

White smoke? Sure it didn't have a bluish tint? Could be any number of things: Spun bearing, although that wouldn't explain the smoke.... dropped valve, hole in a piston (which if you're modded and the remapped to stock, that's a deff possibility).... Hope they cover it like they should. Good luck.

If you wanted to drive to Kansas City, I've got an Iron 883 I'd let you borrow for about 8 grand.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:02 PM
soup
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 203Cree
White smoke? Sure it didn't have a bluish tint? Could be any number of things: Spun bearing, although that wouldn't explain the smoke.... dropped valve, hole in a piston (which if you're modded and the remapped to stock, that's a deff possibility).... Hope they cover it like they should. Good luck.

If you wanted to drive to Kansas City, I've got an Iron 883 I'd let you borrow for about 8 grand.
Thanks for the offer.
The smoke was white, no blue tint, this whole deal started after I had the power commander installed. She ran great for about a week then started to chug and backfire. I took her back, they kept her for a week, said she was running rich, tweaked the commander and re-mapped her back to stock, changed the plugs and all the fluids, I even told them to put the heavy breather back on, if that was the problem, like I said I'm not anywhere near a mechanic, but they downloaded the PC for Basanni pipes with a S.E. Heavy Breather. I don't man, I'm just waiting it out to see what they say. She's still under warranty, let's hope they don't try to bone me on this.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:07 PM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member

soup man WTF buddy? so sorry to hear about that ****. glad ya weren't pretending to be mr motor, that way they can't blame sheet on you.

if you can i would throw a sheit fit until they gave you a loaner to ride around until they fix yrs. i was always told black smoke is fixable, white smoke is normaly a bigger problem, i realy hope it all works out and works out fast.

not sure about that remap deal, i would go to a local indy and see what thats all about. keep askin questions, you'll get some answers

keep us up to date, that ol'girl needs to be out in the sun, she and you have been couped up to long

Old 04-27-2009, 12:19 AM
goinsideways136
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dude same thing happened to me man. bike started clanking real bad and shot a ****ton of gas out of the aircleaner and was puffing white smoke and died.i thought it blew up.so i turned it off for a half hour and started it and its been running fine for the last two weeks. maybe a ecm/power commander issue?

Old 04-27-2009, 01:28 AM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

Didn't Jason kill Medusa? Who are you talking about?

Old 04-27-2009, 01:37 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Just for the Record Perseus slew Medusa ... but hopefully we see Soup back on the road soon...

Quick Reply: Medusa died.