Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster, Short Shots, SCRAPE!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 11:09 AM
JLuns
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nightster, Short Shots, SCRAPE!

So this past Friday I took the ERC(Experienced Rider Course), since it is soon becoming another Marine Corps requirement. Throughout the whole course I was scraping my kick stand, but I scraped my V&H Short Shots TWICE! I didn't think is was possible, but somehow I did it. What sucks is that I have them wrapped all the way till the mounting bracket, so it tore the **** out of my pipe wrap(SUCKS). Since I didnt have any extra wrap to fix it, I took it to Harley to see if they could help me out and salvage it. They just cut it back some and used some extra pipe wrap they had laying around to "patch" it. So I wont be going through anymore turns leaning that much again! By the wait I still have the stock suspension with no lowering kits or anything like that.

Last edited by JLuns; 04-25-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:45 AM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

At least your getting your money's worth out of the tire tread!

Old 04-25-2009, 01:18 PM
rastajacob
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh well, it gives your bike character...Do you want it to look perfect? Pipes look better scraped. At least it is not the paint...

Old 04-25-2009, 02:20 PM
plysat
Tourer

Yeah, the N loves to scrape parts... My kickstand has at 1/4" or more ground off the front edge, and my muffler clamp bolts are almost totally ground flat. If I need to remove 'em I'll need a torch! Oh well, I look at it like it keeps me from getting stupid in the canyons! :-) It's a safety feature.... ;-)

Old 04-26-2009, 01:02 AM
gldn2th
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have cycle shack wide oval slip ons on my '08 Nightster. With the wider muffler I scrape hard parts frequently. Last month I scraped the front muffler so hard on Hwy 1 in Northern California that I thought I was going to lift the rear wheel off the road on a hard and fast right turn. I paniced, popped the bike up straight and found myself on the wrong side of the double yellow. Gave me instant pucker power. So.......last week I gave in - installed Progressive 412 Shocks. I wimped out and went with 12" shocks (stock being 11") - didn't change the look of the Nightie too much - but now I can't scrape that front muffler even when I try.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:59 PM
stng_96
Road Master

On an old set of pipes a buddy of mine had, he scraped so much, so often, the pipe was completely ate away where he would hit. That was on a stock suspension 883C

Old 04-26-2009, 06:38 PM
rdss
Road Captain

I have the ERC coming up on the 8th of May, the Navy requires it every three years no matter what now. I think the Military's tactic to start lowering motorcycle accidents and deaths in the services is to make it completely uncomfortable and ridiculous for a rider to ride. I guess I can look forward to trashing my lower heat shield.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:38 PM
congo_usmc
Tourer

yea they made me go thru it too. such a waste of time. its just a BRC review.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:25 PM
WickedNite08
Novice

It Sux that you scraped the pipes. But look at the other side of the situation..... You worked your bike and tires to the edge to get that scrape. A Blemish to a Beautiful bike and pipes....But bragging rights also.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:18 PM
SteveCarney
Cruiser

I ride with rockets thru the twisties all the time. I replace kick stand springs once a month, and i put clear fingernail polish on the scratches on the underside for the forward exhaust every 2 months to prevent rust damage. It's not a big deal. **** happens, if you're not scraping on a nightster, you're not riding hard enough. At least your controls don't scrape.

Quick Reply: Nightster, Short Shots, SCRAPE!