Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster, Short Shots, SCRAPE!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 11:45 PM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ride in the twisties all of the time and have never scraped my sideshots

Old 04-27-2009, 07:07 AM
Mark g
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to scrap my short shots all the time.Kickstand as well. The nightster is lowered from the factory.

As I look back, it was a good looking bike, but what a POS.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:32 AM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member

I scrape my kickstand on turns allot.
At least you scraped it on a tight turn and not because you dropped it. I'd be more proud of the scrapes knowing i did them because I'm a cornering champ.

Last edited by BiggDogg; 04-27-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:19 PM
will227457
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I scrape all the time these bikes were not meant for the twisties.....Ill be buying new foot pegs before the yr is out....

Old 04-27-2009, 12:37 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rdss
I have the ERC coming up on the 8th of May, the Navy requires it every three years no matter what now. I think the Military's tactic to start lowering motorcycle accidents and deaths in the services is to make it completely uncomfortable and ridiculous for a rider to ride. I guess I can look forward to trashing my lower heat shield.
Yeah, knowledge and skills are a real bitch.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:36 PM
rdss
Road Captain

Bacon, I am not saying that the class isn't a good thing to go to, but every three years is kind of pushing it. I would understand if you haven't ridden for an extended period. I am not sure if you have ever tried to get onto a military instillation on a motorcycle but it is a pain. Obviously I still ride and follow the rules, but it seems like every other week they are adding a new rule that only applies to Motorcycle Riders and there isn't a single class for drivers that make them more aware of riders much less a class that they are required to take over and over and over again.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:41 PM
Willie D
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Scrapes

Originally Posted by BiggDogg
I scrape my kickstand on turns allot.
At least you scraped it on a tight turn and not because you dropped it. I'd be more proud of the scrapes knowing i did them because I'm a cornering champ.
What he said ! ;-)

Yupper, I know the feeling. I have the lower heat shield almost flat and the the side stand scares the H3LL out of folks I ride with. The 412's make the ride much better and if I had to do it again I would buy the 11.5" just to give me a bit more clearance. this new 1200N is so much more fun than the 93 that I had . . . . Yee Ha.

JMH .02

Old 04-28-2009, 12:35 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rdss
Bacon, I am not saying that the class isn't a good thing to go to, but every three years is kind of pushing it. I would understand if you haven't ridden for an extended period. I am not sure if you have ever tried to get onto a military instillation on a motorcycle but it is a pain. Obviously I still ride and follow the rules, but it seems like every other week they are adding a new rule that only applies to Motorcycle Riders and there isn't a single class for drivers that make them more aware of riders much less a class that they are required to take over and over and over again.
Well, I have ridden on MANY military bases and it was never an issue for me. But, then again, I just shut up and did what they told me to. Kinda how that whole being in the military worked for me.

And I remember well the far too often policy changes. But, orders are orders so I went to the classes, wore the gear, and kept my mouth shut.

I agree that it's unfair that there aren't similar requirements for drivers, but that's life. But, we're part of a very small minority that is over represented in injury statistics. Until the admiral starts showing up to work on a bike, motorcyclists are going to get screwed. At least they don't come down and say you cannot ride PERIOD.

The brass, right or wrong, feels that the best way to keep you around is by making sure you have the skills, education and gear to get you through whatever comes your way. That goes for when you're riding, when you're deployed or when you're training.

Sounds to me like they don't want to recruit your replacement. I certainly appreciate that, as this country needs more folks like you.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:39 PM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member

have done the same thing to too many sets of pipes over the years...it sucks but it happens

Old 10-26-2012, 05:11 PM
Nielsds
Intermediate

Do you think 11.5 progressive will fix the scraping ? especially for my short shots ...

Quick Reply: Nightster, Short Shots, SCRAPE!