Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How-to Install...Sportster Hurricane-Flow Filter Assembly From NRHS

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 10:31 AM
scotty-j
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How-to Install...Sportster Hurricane-Flow Filter Assembly From NRHS

***not sure if i should put this here or in the Engine/Fuel/Intake/Exhaust section

Well, after doing tons of research on air filter assemblies i decided the Hurricane-Flow from NRHS was the hands down winner.

You ask "Where can I score one of those ?" http://www.nrhsperformance.com/partshurricaneflow.shtml

Spoke with Dan at NRHS and ordered it up, I opted for the 2" filter centered style, also picked up the black bracket (stronger and beefier than the chrome bracket and a couple $'s cheaper) as well as the breather bolts kit...and a couple of jets for my Mikuni HSR42.

Thanks Dan, for answering all my questions and providing me with awsome customer service :clap:banana:clap:banana:clap

Tool List :
Phillips screw driver
3/16" allen
9/16" deep socket and ratchet
Torx T27
3/4" box end wrench, or shallow socket

i will not go into depth or include pictures how to remove the stock air filter assembly since it is really simple and self explanatory...3/16" allen to remove the ham can...Torx T27 to remove the bracket for the ham can and the filter...9/16" deep socket and ratchet to remove the backing plate from the heads and carb (remove the o-rings before using the socket on the breather bolts).

Now on to the Hurricane-flow. (Applies to Carb and EFI models) mainly I am writing this for a carb equipped bike since that is what i have (***EFI models can disregard any mentions of the bracket...i do believe)

Unpack the Hurricane-Flow and stare at it in amazement, the quality and workmanship is EXCELLENT. Start by using the 3/16" allen and disassemble the Hurricane-Flow (4 allens) once apart clean and wipe the unit down with a rag and set aside for a minute. Now grab the Carb Bracket (EFI disregaurd), breather bolts and washers and the included self adhesive gasket... affix the gasket to the face of the mounting flange on the carb or EFI throttle body after cleaning it. Install the mounting bracket and the breather bolts using a 3/4" box end wrench or socket and once that is done remove the oem gasket from the back of the original air filter backing plate and you will reuse that and sandwich it in between the carb bracket and the rear plate of the Hurricane-Flow (EFI disregaurd). Now install the rear plate using the supplied (3 allens - 3/16") once that is installed (with a dab of blue threadlocker of course) install the filter and the front plate using (4 allens - 3/16") and tighten. Now all that is left to do is install the hamcan and the model badge plate thinga-ma-jig. start up the bike, ride and adjust the carb as needed in compensate for the massive amount of air it is now taking injesting.

And as far as the breather bolt kit and how to plumb it, there are many ways and options to do this and I am not going into in this thread... you will need fuel hose with a 3/8" internal diameter, and what ever you want to use, flilters, catch cans or dump to the ground. It's all up to you to decide. I will eventually be using a some braided line from Earl's and either a filter or a catch can. For right now I ran the hoses under the bike and just venting it like that.

Now onto the pictures....enjoy :clap

Old 04-25-2009, 11:48 AM
SpursDarkrider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Real good pics, pretty good explaination. Good job, well done. Enjoy

Old 04-28-2009, 05:33 PM
scotty-j
Tourer

i may call around locally this week and see how much it'll cost me to get it powder coated.

still undecided, i do like seeing the machining marks, but if i can sand them out completely i may get it chromed.... we'll see

Old 08-25-2009, 08:52 PM
scotty-j
Tourer

i did have a problem with the breather bolts backing out...simple fix.

i removed all the nylon and steel washers and replaced them with copper washers, torqued them down rode 50-75 miles and retorqued....no more problems with the breather bolts backing out from the use of the nylon washers.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:57 PM
Austen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

are u gonna leave the air cleaner cover off? it would look sweet.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:40 PM
scotty-j
Tourer

prolly not, i like the hamcan cover.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:49 PM
Austen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

good loookin bike btw