Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Blown battery fuse.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 06:07 PM
Caestus75
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Blown battery fuse.

Hello, my girlfriends and my bike (One bike) sat for about 1 year without being ridden. Everything was 100% fine when it was parked. We just pulled it out from under the tarp in the garrage last week and it Wouldn't start. (no turn over) we couldn't even jump it. We bought a new battery and went to start it. no dice, not even turning over.

Well I checked the fuses and noticed the battery fuse was blown so i went to replace it, the moment I attempted to push it in, the fuse blew again. (3 times) It is most likely a grounding issue somewhere, but how do i find out where?

The battery does appear to be hooked up correctly. I am not very mechanical but i can follow directions and any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your prompt and helpful replies.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:48 PM
congo_usmc
Tourer

sorry dont know how to fix it but definitely get a battery tender and use it wen you store your bike for an extended period of time to prevent this from happening again

Old 04-23-2009, 05:28 AM
BradNailer
Cruiser

There's a short somewhere. A wire is touching the frame or another wire someplace. The only way to find it is to trace the wiring and look for worn or chewed insulation. When you find it wrap some electrical tape around it and you should be good to go.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:08 AM
stng_96
Road Master

yes, its deffinately trying to ground somewhere, but it is hard to say where it would be, if it were me, I would check all the connections of the wires first, to see if one may have come loose.

just my .02

Old 04-23-2009, 08:13 PM
Caestus75
2nd Gear

Thanks for your advise so far. You basically confirmed my theory. However, man is it difficult. I spent about a half hour today looking at the wiring before I had to go to work. There is no corrosion anywhere i swear the wire seething looks factory perfect. Is there possibly a short inside the ignition? If so, are they hard to take apart and possibly reconnect wires?

I'm just trying to think of everything.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What you can do is remove the fuse and insert leads of a 12v test light into the fuse holder in place of the fuse... if there is a short the light will come on.. leave the light hooked up then pull the other fuses out one at a time, if the light goes out when you remove a fuse, the short is in that circuit. That will give you a place to start. Be sure you have everything off when you do it. (Do not try to start the bike with the test light hooked up) If none of the fuses cause the light to go off when you pull them then look at the main wires to the starter, and key switch, wiggle wires around and watch the light and see if it flickers, if it does, then you found a short.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:54 PM
SpursDarkrider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sounds like great advice, never knew that trick.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:04 PM
Caestus75
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Gpsjr10
What you can do is remove the fuse and insert leads of a 12v test light into the fuse holder in place of the fuse... if there is a short the light will come on.. leave the light hooked up then pull the other fuses out one at a time, if the light goes out when you remove a fuse, the short is in that circuit. That will give you a place to start. Be sure you have everything off when you do it. (Do not try to start the bike with the test light hooked up) If none of the fuses cause the light to go off when you pull them then look at the main wires to the starter, and key switch, wiggle wires around and watch the light and see if it flickers, if it does, then you found a short.

Thank you. This is excellent advice

Old 04-24-2009, 10:08 PM
Caestus75
2nd Gear

nothing is causing the light to flicker. With the fuses out, or in. The light stays on at all times. Very frustrating...

Old 04-24-2009, 10:24 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is all happening with the key switch in the off position? i would try taking connectors apart one at a time and watch the light... there shouldn't be a whole lot to check that is powered all of the time. Security system, power to key switch, maybe ECM. Tomorrow I will look at the wiring diagram for my 08 and check for possibilities, they should be very simular.

edit: Opps, forgot 04 is still carbed. I will find my other book.

Last edited by Gpsjr10; 04-24-2009 at 10:35 PM.

Quick Reply: 2004 Blown battery fuse.