Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sporty or Vstar

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 12:11 PM
papadop88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You said it yourself, you've always wanted a Harley. If you want the Harley, buy the Harley. If you get a metric, even if its a better for whatever reason, you'll still kick yourself for not buying the Harley.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:50 PM
Alex_C
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The metric will be a kind of "disposable" bike while the harley is forever. I'm up against this too, had a ton of metric bikes, now I want a Harley.

One thing I notice with the Vstars is they're HUGE and FAT. The Sporty will be a skinny little canyon carver by comparison. There are parts out there to turn the Sportster into anything you want, from a dresser to a caff racer to a street tracker to just keeping it what it is, one of the last classic Standard motorcycles.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:08 PM
Bryan53
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seriously considered a Vstar my friend has one. He always has quick sly comments for Harley's and Sportsters. I could care less. I don't knock his bike ever and I will not ever knock his bike. Its almost like he needs to make my Harley Sportster lower so he can feel good about his Vstar. The more I ride and the more things I change the more he talks about getting a sporty and making it what he wants.

As for your size my friend with the Vstar and myself are both 6'3" and 250. I look big on my Sportster he looks big on his Vstar. You will fit fine on a Sporty.

If you get the Vstar everytime you hear a Harley or see a Harley you will think "man I wish I got that Sportster" You've always wanted one...get one. I can go 200-300 miles a day comfortably. I have done 400 in a day. I was fine all day but I was sore the next day.

If you want a bike that is the heart and soul of an American made company for 50 years then get the Sportster. If you just want to ride with your friends because motorcycles are cool and it would be fun get the Vstar.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:40 PM
karaokeman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you've only posted this in a HD forum ..I "think" in your heart you want a HARLEY
Get the 1200 sporty with the forward controls and as mentioned with the easy swap of a seat and windshield you have yourself a fun touring machine that serves a DUAL role as cruiser and very capable part time tourer. JUST MY $.02

Old 04-22-2009, 06:31 PM
ripto
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should buy my 883 so I can get a 1200

My dad has a V-star 1100 and I've ridden it a few times. Its had a problem with it and I never rode it while it was in good running condition (nothing against the v-star model, I think its just something wrong with the carb).

I don't like it. I mean it has the power I want, but it just feels weird. With my sportster, I'm in a comfortable position and feel like I'm one with it, but with the v-star, I feel like I'm sitting on top of it. Not to mention the extra wide stance you need for it, it just did not feel right to me.

If you did a search on my topics you will find out I am FAR from content with my bike, but between the sportster and v-star, its the sportster hands down for me. If I had a 1200, completely different story. I'd probably bring it in the house and park it next to my bed at night, but my 883 stays out in the garage.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:53 PM
Rick1981
Advanced
Default Ok I'm sold I'm buying a sportster

Alright so I am going to get one and short of my dad calling it a chics bike I'm good with it. My next question is that I have right at 5k to spend. Here in my area I have found a few used ones that fall into that price range. One I am looking at is a 92 883 for 2500 with 15k miles. It is a nice bike and I could add a a 1200 kit to it and still have money to throw at it. Anyone see a problem with this thought?

Thanks
Rick

Old 04-22-2009, 07:08 PM
tinman67
Tourer

Get the Sporty. Many folks 6' and over, including myself riding Sportys.
Originally Posted by Aviationrookie
Well no I haven't posted in a Yamaha forum. I have always wanted a Harley (wanna be) I have the books,magazines,shirts etc. My only worry was that I am to big for a sportster and gonna look like I'm riding my kids bmx bike next to the vstars. I have never rode a sportster. I rode my dads Heritage a couple of times and loved it but thats more money then I have. Also is an 883 enough or should I look at the 1200's?

Old 04-22-2009, 07:33 PM
MacAttack
Tourer

Get an '04 or later XL1200R. You can add highway bars and/or footpegs to get a little more space, for cruising. Optional seats are available too.
My wife rides a Boulevard C50. I ride it a fair bit myself. +1 on DDTT's post.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:34 PM
justusm
Advanced

Get the Harley. I was in the same position about two months ago. I was torn between a Yamaha Road Star and a 1200 Harley Sportster Custom. I know they are two completely different bikes, but that was my picks. I decided on the sportster, because I have always wanted a Harley and I have always liked the looks of the sportster. Money wasn't the issue, I just love everything about the 1200 Sportster. The Yamaha was a lot bigger bike, probably would have been a lot more comfortable, and really looked good, but still I chose the sportster and I don't think I would have been happy about it, if I hadn't. It's been 20 years since I've owned a bike, this is kind of a second childhood thing for me, but I think I made the right choice. If a Harley is what you are leaning towards, then jump in and get it.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:36 PM
MacAttack
Tourer

"One I am looking at is a 92 883 for 2500 with 15k miles. It is a nice bike and I could add a a 1200 kit to it and still have money to throw at it. Anyone see a problem with this thought?"

Depends on how far you want to ride. 2004 was a major shift from solid engine mounting to rubber mounts. 2007 saw EFI, though many prefer carbs.
You can put a 1200 kit on an 883 and make it faster than a stock 1200.

For long rides, I'd go with the rubbermount.

Quick Reply: Sporty or Vstar