Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 12:48 PM
SpursDarkrider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That straining you think you felt was probably the bike revving high in 4th gear, next time when you get 60-65 mph, pop it int 5th, bike should rev lower and smooth out, then get it up to 70-75 and enjoy the ride.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:52 PM
whodatfan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Come back and bump this thread a month from now. I bet you'll be ridin 80 and chillin....

Old 04-20-2009, 03:42 PM
RGreeves
Intermediate
Default + 1 on the value of experience...

... you will get used to the wind buffeting over time. Ear plugs or a full helmet may help in the short term.

But, as you get used to it, please don't speed! Speed limits are there to say, "You are only human and can react only so fast. Catastrophic situations can arise when least expected and it only takes one mistake...".

Old 04-21-2009, 12:19 AM
tinman67
Tourer
Default Agreed

1+ on the relax. Nobody said you had to do 90 anyway, but eventually you'll probably want to
Originally Posted by xFreebirdx
Relax, relax, relax and enjoy the ride. It all will come with time.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:03 AM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i've been riddin for over 5 years and with my current set up i even need to slow down every once in a while, the wind can be brutal at times.

like everyone has said, just relax and don't push yrself, that way you'll be riddin years from now at any speeds ya need to be

Old 04-21-2009, 08:21 AM
WildBill_50
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by old skool1983
i've been riddin for over 5 years and with my current set up i even need to slow down every once in a while, the wind can be brutal at times.

like everyone has said, just relax and don't push yrself, that way you'll be riddin years from now at any speeds ya need to be
+1 on what Old skool said, just don't push your self out side your abilities because a good ride can turn ugly in a second and if you are already beyond your limits then the situation could become grim!

Old 04-21-2009, 08:37 AM
hincheec
Cruiser

Originally Posted by xFreebirdx
Relax, relax, relax and enjoy the ride. It all will come with time.
+1000

I used to not be comfortable at all on the interstate, now it is just another road. It will happen for you too. dont rush it, ride within your abilities.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:57 PM
TestFlyer
Tourer

I think higher speeds to a beginner is all about having trust and confidence in the machine. When I think back - and it still happens to this day - when on the super slab turning 70 the mind can introduce fear. WHat if the front end fails, what if a tire blows, what if, what if, what if. With some good miles under your belt, you gain confidence and skill - but never let that guard down - ever.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:59 AM
tinman67
Tourer
Default Amen To That

I also rode side streets and main arteries for a while when I first got my bike. It takes a little experience to gain trust in yourself and your machune, but don't ever trust the other drivers on the road to be watching for you. There is a big difference between relaxing and letting your guard down. Whenyou feel more comfortable with yorr riding abilities take a short trip on the highway at a time when there is little other traffic, then a little longer until you become more comfortable ot highway speeds.
Originally Posted by TestFlyer
I think higher speeds to a beginner is all about having trust and confidence in the machine. When I think back - and it still happens to this day - when on the super slab turning 70 the mind can introduce fear. WHat if the front end fails, what if a tire blows, what if, what if, what if. With some good miles under your belt, you gain confidence and skill - but never let that guard down - ever.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:47 PM
Darthvapors
Intermediate

Thanks I really appreciate the advice from you all! I definitely do not push past my limits...I ride very defensively so far..I was just curious if what I was noticing around 60mph was normal for my skill level (newbie) or if the sporty had inherent handling issues at higher speeds

Quick Reply: Speed...