Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE A/C

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 03:42 PM
NYSportster
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SE A/C

Got bike back from dealer after paying for Harley tax. Noticed that the SE A/C doesn't have the plastic backing of the stock filter. Is it suppose to be like this or did the mech forget something?

On the stock you had the black plastic back cover, filter, filter cover. Now it just looks like I only have the filter and the filter cover over it.

Old 05-05-2006, 06:20 PM
birchfield83
Advanced
Default RE: SE A/C

When changeing to the SE, the black cover will not fit any longer.

Old 05-05-2006, 07:48 PM
NoBoZoS
Advanced

You should have looked at a K&N Filter.....same price as SE BUT you can clean and reoil it unlike the SE....I learned my lesson to ask questions before I buy...If I had know I would have purchased the K&N instead....on the plus side you should notice much better performance with the upgrade.

Old 05-05-2006, 08:20 PM
NYSportster
Cruiser

Are you serious... so I can't clean and oil the SE A/C? So what's the maintenance procedure? Do I have to replace every 5k miles.

Old 05-06-2006, 12:09 AM
alexcue
Road Master

ORIGINAL: NYSportster

Are you serious... so I can't clean and oil the SE A/C? So what's the maintenance procedure? Do I have to replace every 5k miles.
just wash, rinse, dry and put it back on

Old 05-06-2006, 08:21 PM
JBBOOKS
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The SE A/C is open in the back.

Unless they changed the filter, it's paper and can't be washed. I blow mine off with compressed air - but I don't have a lot of miles on it yet.

EDIT: I have been told the SE can be washed. Sorry if I gave unintended bad advice.

Old 05-07-2006, 12:48 AM
NoBoZoS
Advanced

I have been lead to believe that they can't be serviced at all....they are just an upgraded disposable filter...I will check with my stealer but I don't recall ever reading anything that suggests they can be serviced... no info in the kit on servicing them....I could be wrong....hopefully I am....but I do stand by my previous post...the K&N is a far superior AC filter...strange how Harley stopped using K&N in their SE kits and went with a 'no-name filter'....could it be because they can't be serviced and you will need to replace them unlike the K&N filters???.....inquiring minds want to know MOCO!

Old 05-07-2006, 12:54 AM
molsenice
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone know if K&N will be producing a servicable filer?

Old 05-07-2006, 10:01 AM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You can buy a oiled K&N filter to fit the stock and SEAC air cleaner ham can. Part No: HD-8834 Sporty K&N filter They charge $64 from their site. Yikes!

Don't beat yourself up about getting the SEAC. Half of the benefit from the SEAC is the less restrictive back plate. You know how the OEM plate perfectly fit with the chrome cover? With it, air only entered through the scoop in the front. With the SEAC, air can enter all around the cover. HD couples that with a higher flow filter. It's not K&N but its better than stock.

You other options are to look at some other air cleaner setup - Forcewinder, Hypercharger, Big Sucker, custom, etc.

I was initially bummed when I got my SEAC to find it lacked the oiled K&N filter. But I began reading about the problems thay had early on with the filter pleats blowing out. Talked to HD mechs/parts people who assured me the dry filter it was replaced with in the kit was just as good. So far the "Butt-Dyno" concurs.

Old 05-16-2006, 12:08 PM
austinls
6th Gear

Is the HD-8834 K&N filter a high-flow filter, good for the Stage 1 upgrade?

Quick Reply: SE A/C