Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 1200C has shut down twice

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 02:30 PM
knoxy66
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No I usually do all my own services and parts installs. Screamin eagle intake, fuelpak and Q-series V&H pipes. I'm going to roll with it and see if it does it again before I try to fight with the A-holes down at the service department.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:42 PM
knoxy66
Cruiser

So I've been thinking more and more about this. It started right after I pulled my battery and installed my fuelpak. I've pulled the battery since and all connections are tight. I've narrowed it down to the security system. Does anyone know if there is a reset code or anything for the factory security system after the power is disconnected. I've also thought that since I've started carrying my fob in my breast pocket that maybe it's too far from the antenna or maybe too close to my cell phone. Maybe the battery is dead and the signal is weak. I don't know it could be a million things I guess it just seems that if there is a problem like this at least someone has seen it before.....

Old 04-28-2009, 01:27 AM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You are correct to suspect the security system. Focus there.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:23 PM
scotty-j
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by knoxy66
So I've been thinking more and more about this. It started right after I pulled my battery and installed my fuelpak. I've pulled the battery since and all connections are tight. I've narrowed it down to the security system. Does anyone know if there is a reset code or anything for the factory security system after the power is disconnected. I've also thought that since I've started carrying my fob in my breast pocket that maybe it's too far from the antenna or maybe too close to my cell phone. Maybe the battery is dead and the signal is weak. I don't know it could be a million things I guess it just seems that if there is a problem like this at least someone has seen it before.....
there is...on my 04 it states in the owners manual

1. set run switch to off, cycle ignition key on-off-on-off-on and press the left turnsignal switch twice. wait for one to three confirmation flashes of the turn signals then tun the key to the off position.

2. repeat step listed above.

AGAIN THIS IS FOR AN 04, consult your owners manual incase there is a difference between the 04 and 08 model years tssm unit.

there is a section that if my keyfob looses sync that i should hold the arm/disarm button down for 15 seconds and the turn signals will confirm by flashing twice letting you know it has been resynced.

one other thing you could do is find as many electrical connectors as you can and give them a sqeeze, make sure all connectors are fully seated inside one another, since you recently installed a fuelpak make sure there are no pinched wires or loose connectors on the unit or nearby.

i would take it to the dealer and whle ther you should pick up a service manual and if you do not have the owners manual grab that as well....tons of helpful info in each of them.

good luck and be sure to come back and let us know what it was.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:23 PM
knoxy66
Cruiser

Yeah I will look at all that stuff. I have the manual on digits on my computer, don't know why I haven't looked in there yet. I will definately report my findings if I ever figure it out.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:37 PM
tinman67
Tourer

Not familiar with the fuelpak, but w/Power Commander, it has to be mapped properly for your bike, intake and pipes. If not, this will cause lean codes and the bike shutting down under this condition. The puzzling part is all of the other electricals shutting down. It should still have all functional electrical if it dies because of lean mixture.
Hmmm, 2 codes. P0131 and P0151, both O2 sensors lean. I have a fuelpak installed and was running Xieds on top of that for awhile. I took the Xieds off because I though it was running a little rough with them installed. Are these codes serious? If the fuelpak is working correctly it shouldn't throw a lean code should it?

Old 04-28-2009, 10:55 PM
knoxy66
Cruiser

Yeah that's what I can't figure out. It's throwing the lean codes on the ecm. It's wierd, as soon as it dies, there's absolutely nothing until the security system flashes the 2 blinkers and then it restarts just like normal. It's really frustrating at a stop sign.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:38 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Sounds like a corroded or bad relay,there has been a host of them,pull and dielectric grease all fuses and relays,get a couple of new ones to carry,swap in the new relays and see if problem goes away.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:29 AM
knoxy66
Cruiser

Good thoughts, I'll look at the relays.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:39 PM
tinman67
Tourer

It may be the way that the security system reacts to the bike cutting out. Get that lean mix fixed, then see if the bike still dies. I don't have the security system, so I am not sure how it works.
Yeah that's what I can't figure out. It's throwing the lean codes on the ecm. It's wierd, as soon as it dies, there's absolutely nothing until the security system flashes the 2 blinkers and then it restarts just like normal. It's really frustrating at a stop sign.

Quick Reply: 08 1200C has shut down twice