Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I was told riding 1200n over 70mph is bad for small bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 02:41 PM
ddtt
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I was told riding 1200n over 70mph is bad for small bike

I was talking to a guy today that said people who ride the 1200 sportsters and worse 883's at over 70 mph for sustained periods are over working the small motor and isn't good long term for them. He went on to say that the bike is barely acceptable for riding in town and is a bad choice for anything other than that. He kind of put me in a down mood cause I was leaning toward the 1200n over the bobs. He asked what I knew about harleys, I said I am new to them. He chuckled and said "obviously you must not know much about harleys because if you did you'd know that a 1200 sportster can't run for periods at 70 or above, that's why they only have 5 speeds, and said they are for kids or newbies". Then he said to me that he felt they were very slow in general. I asked if he owned one, he said he never did, because he they were not enough for him. I asked what he rode, he said a low rider dyna. He came across like a jerk, and as I said really put down the sportster. So, now I am not sure what the hell to do. He was laughing at the idea of me using it for some light packing trips. I felt kind of dumb for even mentioning I wanted a 1200n after this guy opened his mouth at the showroom. He walked away laughing and said
"sportsters are nice to ride to the movie rental store and rent a movie and come back home, that's all their good for". No one around us heard him, but he sure did put down the sportster. What the heck gives????

Old 04-15-2009, 02:53 PM
DIESEL72
Intermediate

he's an idiot, forget everything he said. he's the one who doesnt know anything about bikes. and definetly not hogs

Old 04-15-2009, 02:59 PM
MacAttack
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too funny. He got sucked into spending more for a slower, heavier bike and wants to justify his purchase. ALL "big twins" were 74 cubic inches, just like the Sportsters, until HD started making bigger motors. 1200 cc is not a small motor.
I ride hundreds of miles on mine to visit friends, doing a constant 70 on the freeway. What an idiot. Buy what you want. Nightsters are nice bikes.

- from a 35-year rider, by the way.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:01 PM
Notcho
Novice

The more I read the less I cared about that dudes opinion.

You shouldn't either.

Get the bike that fits you, my 883 does it just fine

beardo
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

My answer? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Fu@king idiots!!!!

LOL small bike?!?!?!

Ask some ol' timers about 305, 450 hondas. How bout 500 brit bikes.

1200 and even 883 is big

Typical American mentality.....

Pablo22
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 24 Posts

Experts!!!! I ride my 1200 85-90mph all day long - never had a problem!

Old 04-15-2009, 03:05 PM
Mandog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am actually trying to figure out if your posting as a troll or if you are on the level. First of all, what the hell does having five speeds have to do with going over 70? Does that jackass realize ( or you for that matter) that 6 sp transmissions on Harleys only started in a few years ago? Does that mean bikes 06 and older (05 for Dynas) should not do 70 mph?
The guy is an idiot , plain and simple.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:06 PM
sajackson
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't listen to people like that. The Sportster has been in the Harley lineup since 1957 and has arguably kept Harley afloat in tough times.

Up until a few years ago Harley's "big twin" was hardly larger than 1200cc, had less torque and ran on 5 speeds.

People like that remove all doubt about thier intelligence when they open thier mouths.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:07 PM
bdorr67
Tourer

Originally Posted by ddtt
I was talking to a guy today that said people who ride the 1200 sportsters and worse 883's at over 70 mph for sustained periods are over working the small motor and isn't good long term for them. He went on to say that the bike is barely acceptable for riding in town and is a bad choice for anything other than that. He kind of put me in a down mood cause I was leaning toward the 1200n over the bobs. He asked what I knew about harleys, I said I am new to them. He chuckled and said "obviously you must not know much about harleys because if you did you'd know that a 1200 sportster can't run for periods at 70 or above, that's why they only have 5 speeds, and said they are for kids or newbies". Then he said to me that he felt they were very slow in general. I asked if he owned one, he said he never did, because he they were not enough for him. I asked what he rode, he said a low rider dyna. He came across like a jerk, and as I said really put down the sportster. So, now I am not sure what the hell to do. He was laughing at the idea of me using it for some light packing trips. I felt kind of dumb for even mentioning I wanted a 1200n after this guy opened his mouth at the showroom. He walked away laughing and said
"sportsters are nice to ride to the movie rental store and rent a movie and come back home, that's all their good for". No one around us heard him, but he sure did put down the sportster. What the heck gives????
Hey,

Been following your posts lately. Seems you're having a hard time deciding which bike to buy.

I've got a 1200n and riding it at 70 is no problemo.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:09 PM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member

yeah that guy is a jack ***, the 1200 is a great engine....and very reliable, think about it, the moco hasn't changed the evo (besides rubber mount) for alot longer than they change up the BT's. i have taken my 04 1200c on 3 week trips doing 90% highway speeds at 75-80 mph and anywhere from 250-450 miles a day and the bike was happy the whole time.

i have never owned an 883 but i road one once and didn't enjoy it on the highway....it was an older model. 1200 for me is a fantastic bike.

i have also riddin BT's, they are nice bikes, i'm not a BT hater, but i do love my sporty

if you want a 1200n get one i bet you won't be disapointed. if you see that guy again just stay away from him, its not even worth proving him wrong

Quick Reply: I was told riding 1200n over 70mph is bad for small bike