Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a Professional At A Nightster

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 08:57 AM
Joshbusmc
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a Professional At A Nightster

I wanted to change out my exhaust and I was told I need a fuel pack. Is that true? Do I need anything else? Also if someone could tell me what size my factory handle bars that would be great. I keep getting the run around at the dealership. If anyone could also let me know what they think about Vance and Hines Short pipes. Thanks for the help. Josh

Old 04-15-2009, 09:16 AM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are running with the stock air cleaner, you can just change the pipes and that is all you need. If you change to a higher flow air cleaner, then you will need to either get it remapped or add on a fuel management system like the PCIII or the fuel pack because it will run way too lean. Seems like everyone has the V&H SS pipes... I, for one, do not.

Your bars are 1 inch in diameter if that is what you need to know... Most metrics are 7/8 inch.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:29 AM
greenchevy94
Novice

Thats B.S. I have V&H short shots and a high flow air cleaner. No fuel pack or computer mapping. Mine runs like a raped ape! These bikes come from the factory running a little rich. It seems that when I took the baffles out of my pipes, and added the air cleaner that it evened things out. But, yours may be different. It won't hurt anything to find out. Also, when you said size, do you mean width or diameter?

Old 04-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Samber79
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by greenchevy94
Thats B.S. I have V&H short shots and a high flow air cleaner. No fuel pack or computer mapping. Mine runs like a raped ape! These bikes come from the factory running a little rich. It seems that when I took the baffles out of my pipes, and added the air cleaner that it evened things out. But, yours may be different. It won't hurt anything to find out. Also, when you said size, do you mean width or diameter?

eh? Survey says................lean from the factory due to EPA regulations...

Old 04-15-2009, 03:36 PM
FunkyFungus
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 Lean, definitely lean...

fF

Old 04-15-2009, 04:02 PM
mbwannabe1
Tourer
Smile

I guess some like the sound of decel popping, but they aren't going to like the frosted valves, burnt piston, jugs, etc. that go along with leaning it even more than the EPA. Just add an A/C and it will still run, and it might even feel like it has power, but your killing the engine. Add a fuel management system and tune it right.

Unlike a car, the O2 sensor won't adjust, because the bike is running open loop from the ECM tables most of the time, and it's assuming how much air came in for a given RPM and trottle setting.

Pipes have a minor effect on getting more air into the cylinders, but a free breathing air cleaner has a major effect.

BTW gpsjr10, metric would be 22mm (almost, but not quite 7/8 inch). We're the only remaining civilized country, as we still resist measuring small things in units approximating "thousandths of a yard".

Old 04-15-2009, 04:32 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mbwannabe1
BTW gpsjr10, metric would be 22mm (almost, but not quite 7/8 inch). We're the only remaining civilized country, as we still resist measuring small things in units approximating "thousandths of a yard".
If you look on E-bay for bars, most of the metric bars are listed on there as 7/8 in... That was my point...

Old 04-15-2009, 04:42 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

And there's nothing like the sound of your motor doing a meltdown.

If your motor is running fine, your high flow A/C ain't very high flowing.