Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Oil Type?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009 | 10:35 AM
RonRock
|
Tourer
Default 2009 Oil Type?

I changed my Derby Cover and in the process lost some of the lube inside. What is it and where do I fill and check the level? It is thick like a gear lube.

Thanks,
Ron

Old 04-14-2009 | 11:01 AM
kahaone
Road Master

Although you may get the answers you desire on this site. You would learn a lot more just by reading your own owners manual. It's kind of like the Chinese parable ........"give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day....teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime".
My suggestion is to read the owners manual, then come back and answer your own question.

Old 04-14-2009 | 11:41 AM
RonRock
|
Tourer

Thanks for the help Kahone. I am at work and do not have my Owners Manual. I was under the impression that this was a forum where we could ask questions. And those more knowledgeable would assist with an answer to the question. I could also call the dealer and simply ask them. Or several other routes to find an answer.

Thanks,
Ron

Last edited by RonRock; 04-14-2009 at 12:34 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-14-2009 | 11:51 AM
capttawes
Road Warrior

I'm sure you meant well Ron and seeing as your new you had no idea that many simple questions and more complex ones get asked routinely when in fact reading the owners manual, factory service manual or just using the search function works well.
I know sometimes folks are not near their bike or manual at times and want to pick up what they need on the way home so bascially you just need a quart of either synthetic 20/50 oil or better yet just 75/90 gear lube. You drain through the hole under the same cover you pulled and fill through the inspection cover.

But a factory service manaul will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about anything on your bike and the owners manul does cover basic maintenance.

Feel free to ask away as a number of us will most likely answer but more often than not it will be suggested to purchase the factory service manaul.

Last edited by capttawes; 04-14-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-14-2009 | 11:54 AM
Tommo
Extreme HDF Member

Synthetic Mobil 1 seems to be the most popular oil.The primary case Is seperate from the gearbox.Put your Derby cover back on and drain primary from drain bolt underneath,re-fill with 32oz of oil through the smaller chain inspection cover.The oil level should be to the centre of the clutch basket....and be careful with 'o' ring gaskets.

Old 04-14-2009 | 11:56 AM
Grammaton
Road Master

Check and fill with gear oil by removing the derby cover. You can also fill through the inspection cover, but you can't check the level. I use Spectro Sportster Chaincase oil.

Old 04-14-2009 | 12:00 PM
RonRock
|
Tourer

Thank You. I will take some home with me.

I don't mean to sound like an a..hole I am involved in several forums of different interests. One thing that is a constant in all, is someone that is fast to jump someones a.. about how they should get the answer, usually "Do a search"

The way I see it is this. If they need to respond to a question simply answer it. No need to jack with someone who simply asked a question. Just my .02c. I realize I'm a noob here and will now return to the rear of the short bus.

Ron

Old 04-14-2009 | 12:03 PM
capttawes
Road Warrior

Whats this about pulling the cover, just leave on the side stand, drain, and fill with 1 qt. thats it there is no level to check unless you think you have a leak, its 1 qt. out 1 qt. in. The more you pull covers the more chances you have for a leak or messing up your gasket.

Old 04-14-2009 | 12:08 PM
capttawes
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by RonRock

I don't mean to sound like an a..hole I am involved in several forums of different interests. One thing that is a constant in all, is someone that is fast to jump someones a.. about how they should get the answer, usually "Do a search"

The way I see it is this. If they need to respond to a question simply answer it. No need to jack with someone who simply asked a question. Just my .02c. I realize I'm a noob here and will now return to the rear of the short bus.

Ron
Hey Ron,

I too am on a ton of forums (self-empl. and too much time on my hands) and some for 10yrs. and sometimes folks get rubbed the wrong way and ya just have to take it with a grain of salt. Like I was told as a kid, if ya cant say something nice or contribute then don't say anything so I always try to be helpful (or keep my mouth shut).

You'll like it here. Another good one is the XL forum.

Old 04-14-2009 | 12:16 PM
kahaone
Road Master

Originally Posted by RonRock

Ron
I am sorry if you were so "offended" by the fact that someone wanted to help you find the answer on your own, instead of just relying on someone else to do the work for you. I guess the age of the internet makes many people too used to the instant gratification of getting others to do it for them.

And, as you say, all forums have the same constant......some people just expect you to do your own work, instead asking someone else to do it. And yes, I am one of those.

Personally, before I ask a question (especially one that is soo easily answered myself), I have already exhausted all my resources to find the answer myself. Of course, I am not afraid of learning some things the "old fashioned way". But that's just me, I like to be as self-sufficient as possible.

And I thought I was pretty darned tactful in my first post. It has nothing to do with you being a "noob" here, as you state. It's more about doing what is best for you in the long run.

But hey, you got your fish, so you can eat today now. Good luck tomorrow.

Quick Reply: 2009 Oil Type?