Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Oil Type?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009 | 10:53 PM
kahaone
Road Master

Originally Posted by RonRock
I have a 2009 1200 Custom. 3 weeks old.
Ron, I wasn't trying to bust your ***** in my first post. I kinda figured you had a new bike, and hadn't had it for very long. Just the fact that you took the derby cover off without knowing what was behind it, showed me that you hadn't done much research. If you had checked, you would have known what oil was there, right? So, I figured the best answer was to ask you to read the simple owners manual, I didn't say the service manual, just the basic owners manual. That way, you learn the knowledge, instead of just having someone tell you. A person who learns it themself, will remember it much better than the guy who just had someone else tell them the answer (the fish parable).

And I just love the guys who come on and complain about my post by saying:
I agree that most answers are readily found in either your owners manual or, if you want to get into more difficult projects you should start prepared with the correct HD Service manual, but don't jump a guy's a** for asking a question, that's what this thing is about, asking questions and learning from those more experienced. Either answer his question and then suggest the service manual or don't reply at all. No need to be rude.
But, they also gave no information at all. All they wanted to do was bash me. So, I guess it's OK for them to do it, and have an opinion.....but not me??

Old 04-15-2009 | 05:39 AM
tinman67
Tourer
Default Sorry

Sorry to make you think I was trying to bash you. I agree with your latest post. I had my derby cover added at the dealer( they did it free during a routine maintenance ). As I had no idea what I would have been getting into, I would not have attempted it myself without totally researching what I was getting into. Sometimes we get a little excited about our new shiny parts though and jump in and get ourselves into trouble, and it's nice to know if you do, you have a place to go to get some help.
Originally Posted by kahaone
Ron, I wasn't trying to bust your ***** in my first post. I kinda figured you had a new bike, and hadn't had it for very long. Just the fact that you took the derby cover off without knowing what was behind it, showed me that you hadn't done much research. If you had checked, you would have known what oil was there, right? So, I figured the best answer was to ask you to read the simple owners manual, I didn't say the service manual, just the basic owners manual. That way, you learn the knowledge, instead of just having someone tell you. A person who learns it themself, will remember it much better than the guy who just had someone else tell them the answer (the fish parable).

And I just love the guys who come on and complain about my post by saying:

But, they also gave no information at all. All they wanted to do was bash me. So, I guess it's OK for them to do it, and have an opinion.....but not me??

Old 04-15-2009 | 07:40 AM
kahaone
Road Master

Originally Posted by tinman67
Sorry to make you think I was trying to bash you.

Either answer his question and then suggest the service manual or don't reply at all. No need to be rude.
I didn't think I was rude at all in the first post? Helpful, in a self-help sort of way, but not rude?

Like I was told as a kid, if ya cant say something nice or contribute then don't say anything so I always try to be helpful (or keep my mouth shut).
I was told that too. But just like this poster, I didn't listen to that advice either. If I had listened to it, I would not have posted. If this poster had listened to it, he wouldn't have posted either.

The way I see it is this. If they need to respond to a question simply answer it. No need to jack with someone who simply asked a question.

Yea, I can't imagine why I thought some people were trying to bash me?

But I've got tough skin, I just come back smiling. Smiling, or laughing. Sometimes both.

Old 04-16-2009 | 06:24 PM
tinman67
Tourer
Default Friends

Hey, were all friends here right.