Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Oil Type?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009 | 03:40 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by kahaone
"give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day....teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime".
I always thought it went something like;

"Give a man a match and he will be warm for hours,
Set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."

Old 04-14-2009 | 04:13 PM
subsailor
4th Gear

The factory service manual is a great investment. It's pricey but has detailed pictures diagrams and explanations of everything about your bike, it's one of the best investments you can make if your a DIY kind of guy.

Old 04-14-2009 | 06:32 PM
tinman67
Tourer
Default Don't Jump His A**

I agree that most answers are readily found in either your owners manual or, if you want to get into more difficult projects you should start prepared with the correct HD Service manual, but don't jump a guy's a** for asking a question, that's what this thing is about, asking questions and learning from those more experienced. Either answer his question and then suggest the service manual or don't reply at all. No need to be rude. And I like oldfenderguy's analogy better about the match thing
Although you may get the answers you desire on this site. You would learn a lot more just by reading your own owners manual. It's kind of like the Chinese parable ........"give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day....teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime".
My suggestion is to read the owners manual, then come back and answer your own question.

Old 04-14-2009 | 07:01 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RonRock
I changed my Derby Cover and in the process lost some of the lube inside. What is it and where do I fill and check the level? It is thick like a gear lube.

Thanks,
Ron
How much diid you lose. Could not of been much as you fill to the bottom level . When you fill from the Derby. You can put what ever the above posts stated . It holds around 32oz. Now If you don't have one Get the HD Service Manual for you 09 XL. $60 bucks well spent. Good people on this fourm like famliy no one was Busting them on you. Take care

Old 04-14-2009 | 07:08 PM
tumbleweed883
Road Captain

I am sorry if you were so "offended" by the fact that someone wanted to help you find the answer on your own, instead of just relying on someone else to do the work for you. I guess the age of the internet makes many people too used to the instant gratification of getting others to do it for them.
On a U.S. history based forum I once belonged to we called this spoon feeding. You could get banned for asking too many simple to research questions!

Old 04-14-2009 | 07:12 PM
RonRock
|
Tourer

Thanks everyone for all the help. Yes I fully agree that a HD Service Manual is necessary. Actually a factory service manual is at the top of my list for any vehicle I buy. Usually a used or "Pre Owned" as they like to say these days.

But so far I'm having too much fun, spending too much cash on all the goodies (Shiny) to order a manual. It's in the hopper.

As far as any B-Busting no big deal. It's all good as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers,
Ron

Old 04-14-2009 | 07:13 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Ron: Which model bike do you have?

Old 04-14-2009 | 07:34 PM
cHarley
Club Member

I've found from past experience, that if I'm at work or on the road and need some technical info from a manual that I don't have with me, it works best if you start your question on the forum by stating just that. People understand the situation and you won't get 20 suggestions to go buy the manual.

Old 04-14-2009 | 08:15 PM
RonRock
|
Tourer

I have a 2009 1200 Custom. 3 weeks old.

Old 04-14-2009 | 08:16 PM
RonRock
|
Tourer

Hey, my post count is climbing at least. Not much of a post *****.

Quick Reply: 2009 Oil Type?