Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 12:22 AM
infantryscott
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice

Ok so I am joining the crowd. I am an inexperienced rider and will be taking a MSF class next weekend. I am buying a Harley but am torn between two, the Iron 883 and the 1200N. This will mainly be a commuter bike with occasional highway stints.
My stats are 6ft 230lbs. Any advice is appreciated and if any Iron owners are of similar size please let me know how you feel on the bike.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:36 AM
Topdogg
Cruiser

Take the distance you'll be commuting into consideration, also the fact that once you have it it will be more than a commuter bike, with that in mind and your height and weight I would go with the 1200N.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:23 AM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

In my opinion, you should first RIDE both bikes, then decide what you feel more comfortable riding on. You might find that the XL883 Iron is just fine for you and if, in the future, you feel the need for more horsepower, you can always have the motor punched out to 1200 or more. I (unfortunately, at the moment) hover around the 200 lbs mark myself and I have two XL883s that I ride the crap out of. I have about almost 40,000 miles on my ’99 XL883 and it is almost all Highway miles at Highway speeds. (80 MPH +) and the other is a ’07 XL883 and I have about almost 14,000 miles on that bike and again I do mostly Highway miles at Highway speeds on that one too. There is something else that you should think about after you RIDE both bikes for comfort and feel and fit and that is the style of the bike. I like the look of the XL883 Iron and I like the look of the XL1200N Nightster too! But when I think about changing the look of the bike by, say, changing the seat to a more comfortable seat or adding a Sissy Bar/ Back rest, it kind of bothers me a bit as the look that I am drawn to will have been changed and it might not be so cool looking after I make the changes to it. In any case, Good Luck with your decision and ride safe.

Attached Thumbnails Advice-picture-009g.jpg   Advice-bike.jpg  
Old 04-14-2009, 02:29 AM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Might be cheaper to get the Iron and do a 1200 conversion... might be worth looking into...

Old 04-14-2009, 04:10 AM
drummer
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by infantryscott
Ok so I am joining the crowd. I am an inexperienced rider and will be taking a MSF class next weekend. I am buying a Harley but am torn between two, the Iron 883 and the 1200N. This will mainly be a commuter bike with occasional highway stints.
My stats are 6ft 230lbs. Any advice is appreciated and if any Iron owners are of similar size please let me know how you feel on the bike.
Hey & welcome, I think both bikes your lookn at are sharp. I've never rode the Nightster but my wife let me take a short spin on her new IRON & I'm impressed with it. Good luck on your M.S.F. class & keep us posted on your future Sportster.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:48 AM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 883 Iron or 1200N

As mentioned earlier in this thread it all depends on how much freeway driving you will be doing.

Before I got my XL1200C I looked at the bikes on the freeway and noticed that the XL883's always sounded like they where about to come apart from running at such high RPM's.

The 883 around town would be the better of the two because of the weight factor, easier to maneuver around the cages. But on the freeway the extra weight of the 1200 engine gives a smoother ride, less jumping and bucking, quicker acceleration and a higher top end.

That's just my two cents worth. I also took the MSF class, after being off of motorcycles for 12 years, almost killed in an accident, and found that they did not like my motocross techniques of brake control and other quirks. The class helped me out in getting back in the saddle again.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:18 AM
tinman67
Tourer
Default 883

If you choose the Iron 883, you will definitely want forward foot controls added at 6'. As for 883 sounding as though it's comming apart at highway speeds as the last post said, they do run high revs, but are built to handle it. I commute on my 883XLC every day at highway speeds+. Usually about 80 in the morning at maybe a little slower on the way ome(more time to enjoy the ride). If you test ride the iron 883 and don't like the center mount foot controls, try an 883XL Custom with forward controls to get a feel of what the Iron might be like with similar controls.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:38 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the MSF class is a great choice if you're new to riding. good luck, welcome to the boards and buy the nightster. at your height and weight you'll be glad you got more motor under you. conversion to 1200 would also be cool (gps) but it's up to you man, do you want to ride it, work on it or pay someone else to? whatever you do post some pics of what you get and again, welcome!

Old 04-14-2009, 05:54 PM
infantryscott
Intermediate

Thanks to all. I called and spoke to the sales person today and had him locate a Black one so I know I can get it in a reasonable ammount of time. My commute is mostly city with stop lights all over the place. I have decided to get the engine guards also so I can protect the engine from the inevitable fall.
I am not sure on forward controls yet as I am just learning and that would alter how I would have to handle the bike, but they are on my mind. My decision on the Iron is based on cost at this time. If the 1200 looked the same I am sure that would make this a more difficult decision. I will post updates once its paid for and on its way.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:04 PM
killer scott
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramboamt
As mentioned earlier in this thread it all depends on how much freeway driving you will be doing.

Before I got my XL1200C I looked at the bikes on the freeway and noticed that the XL883's always sounded like they where about to come apart from running at such high RPM's.

[FONT=Verdana]The 883 around town would be the better of the two because of the weight factor, easier to maneuver around the cages. But on the freeway the extra weight of the 1200 engine gives a smoother ride, less jumping and bucking, quicker acceleration and a higher top end.[/
FONT]

That's just my two cents worth. I also took the MSF class, after being off of motorcycles for 12 years, almost killed in an accident, and found that they did not like my motocross techniques of brake control and other quirks. The class helped me out in getting back in the saddle again.
Doesn't the 883 weigh more because the engine has more metal in it (less bored out)?

Enjoy the Iron!

Quick Reply: Advice