Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting to miss my Honda.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 02:19 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JRK5892
sell me that HONDA! i want it!
What bike is that in your sig pic, a Bonnie?

*******EDIT*************

Never mind... I wrote before I read.

How's the project coming?

Old 04-14-2009, 02:25 PM
deadhead111469
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by x2lee
10 bucks says if you pull the ign wires off the coil and squeeze them with some pliers and reinstall them... thats what it is...
I'll take that bet....

Old 04-15-2009, 10:59 AM
Sick1200
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carlgrover
Well now. I just got thru reading a post about a guy whining that someone was ranking on his poor little girly sportster. Next thread we got sportster guys ranking on a lowly AMF ironhead. Pieces of junk. The scourge of Harley Davidson. Shameful. The "dark days" of Harley. Let me tell you clowns something. Ironheads have more character than you will ever know. "Oh he shut up when he heard me crank up my mighty sportster with it's wonderful v twin sound". Classic
You want sound? We got sound; and it's not just exhaust. There's clicking, whirring, tapping. It's ALIVE. Drop it into first gear with a loud BANG! The people in the car alongside you will look over and wonder what that noise was. HELL YEAH

I can't believe that sporty riders would make crappy comments about old sportsters. Who's shoulders are you standing on? The EVO has it's roots in the ironhead.

To the guy who's having the trouble: Get rid of that ignition and put a Crane Hi-4 in it. Single fire. Get the complete kit and make sure you change out everything including the coil and plug wires. Post your technical problems in the "ironhead" forum below. Lots of good help there.

Hold your head up when you talk about that old dinosaur. It will break down. It's gonna need some care. It will also be the most rewarding ride you will ever own. Ride it every chance you get. Don't give up on it. The latest model ironheads are now nearly 25 years old. Seen a 25 year old Honda lately? I saw a half dozen just last weekend. Except they said "Coors" on the side of the tank.

For you clueless ironhead bashers out there; you don't deserve to be riding a sportster.
Too true!
I don't own one, but I'd sure love to.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:22 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by x2lee
10 bucks says if you pull the ign wires off the coil and squeeze them with some pliers and reinstall them... thats what it is...
I think I already suggested this in acouple other threads, , but I'm not 100% sure it was for Tackleberry or a couple other people. Plus, I never heard that the people actually tried tightening them nor what their outcome was. Even a very, very slightly loose 90* connection on the coil would give him the symptoms he's describing. I had the same issue...Running fine down the road, and then the engine starts cutting out & the tach starts bouncing around.....Then bam-Dead bike for a couple minutes. Start it back up & get down the road anywhere from a couple hundred yards to a couple miles & bam-Dead bike. It was the 90* connection....I could even hear the connector scraping the ridges of the coil pronge/bolt on removal/connection, but it was still not making a good enough connection. So I removed the connector, gave it a real good squeeze with my fingers, re-installed connector.....No issue since.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:53 AM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its almost always a loose connect... and thats the most common spot...

and the battery connects second...