Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost Keys

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Otizzle
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to avoid the stealership here i went with the cheaper option and ordered an ignition on ebay.

I am still going to keep the ignition that is on the bike now i am almost certain it is not the oe part. so ill take it later to see what they can give me

Old 04-14-2009, 10:59 PM
kahaone
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I haven't done it for a bike, but last year I had a locksmith make a new key for a 1991 car. All they need is the VIN.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:33 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I orderd some keys for my uncles bike for him the barrel type key on an 04 low rider. $28 bucks for two from harley. The guy at the HD counter gave me a card for guy down the street that can copy the keys even the barrel keys.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:38 AM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by x2lee
i think a key is pretty worthless... you could hotwire the bike in 3 mins and you could throw it in the bed of a truck in 30 seconds...
That's exactly what I think, too. I am in no way a car thief (never even lifted my parent's keys in high school for a joy ride) but I can hotwire my Sporty in about a minute.

All keys are good for is keeping honest folks honest.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:47 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can order harley key blanks of the internet and have Lowe's or any local lock smith cut you some keys. You don't have to go through the dealer to have your exact key made back at the MOCO. http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_nkw...romZR40QQ_mdoZ

Old 04-15-2009, 11:21 AM
mbwannabe1
Tourer

Originally Posted by Otizzle
I had to avoid the stealership here i went with the cheaper option and ordered an ignition on ebay.

I am still going to keep the ignition that is on the bike now i am almost certain it is not the oe part. so ill take it later to see what they can give me
Ordered an ignition only? What are you going to do about the fork lock? Locking the front fork provides more protection than the ignition. At least then a thief can only ride in circles if hotwires. If they have a truck, at least you make them carry the bike to the truck instead of simply rolling it up to the tailgate. (It still isn't a perfect solution, but it helps. I had a bike stolen and recovered. They broke the fork lock, trucked it away, and hotwired the ignition at their liesure. Amateurs, cause they really screwed up the wiring harness before they got it right )

You say that the old ignition wasn't HD original. Do you say that because the ignition key wouldn't fit the fork lock? If they were keyed alike, a locksmith can make a key from scratch, and it will probably still be cheaper than replacing both locks. At least you can hand the locksmith the old ignition so he can work on it while you ride. When asking for quotes, let the locksmith know that you can bring in the ignition switch by itself and it isn't an emergency job. It'll save you some $$.

If the lock is OEM, HD can make you a new key from their records cheaper than any commercial locksmith.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:14 PM
Otizzle
Advanced

^^ My bike doesnt have the integrated fork lock i use a pad lock . I do plan on taking the old ignition to the stealership to see if it is the original, but i put the new ignition switch on in like 30 minutes rather than waiting two weeks for the key from HD.

I take the bike to work thats why i want to keep honest folks honest.

I now have a barrel key with the new set up and it came with a spare for 30 bucks.

Works well

Thanks all for your input.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:17 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jdvorchak
On your way home from the dealer, stop by Ace Hardware and have them make you a spare. Only cost's a couple of bucks once you have something they can cut a key from. Then put that spare somewhere so if you loose your HD key again it's a simple matter of running back to Ace and have another cut. I drywall screwed my spare inside the garage so I always know where one is.

I also carry a spare to both of my bikes on my car key ring. That saved me one day at work when I lost the key to my Goldwing but I was able to drive home because I always have my car keys with me. Some nice person turned it into a security guard and I got it the next day. Point is I didn't have to have someone come get me or bring a spare from home. Some guys keep a spare on the bike in various hiding places. You can't have too many spares!
Good idea but to go a step further I keep a spare for each vehicle in my wallet and one ine a desk drawer at home. Just in case.