Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chopper Kit Axle Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Filmy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chopper Kit Axle Question

Hi y'all. I'm having trouble mounting my new 21" laced front wheel on my Seeger chopper kit fork. I'll paste my email question to the manufacturer below, but if anyone has some feedback I'd appreciate it.

My email:

I recently purchased a '92 Harley Sportster with one of your chopper kits already installed. The install used the stock 19" front mag wheel, aluminum fender bolt spacers, 39mm tubes and about an 8.5" spread between them. I assume this is the "Wide-Glide" kit.

I also recently purchased a year-correct 21" laced front wheel/tire and I'm having trouble getting it mounted on your fork system. My problem lies with the supplied axle, which has a machined "shoulder" on the clamp side, stopping me from getting the new wheel far enough over to the right (non-disc side). The stock mag wheel's hub is narrower than the new one, and utilizes a half-inch (+/-) spacer on that same right side, which of course works perfectly with the supplied axle.

My question is this: do you supply a different axle for the non-mag 21" front wheel application? Also, is the axle you do provide a stock H-D Dyna Wide-Glide axle? And if you do have a different axle for this 21" laced front wheel application, how can I get one?

So if one (any?) of you had this kit installed, was there any choice for the axle with regards to which wheel you have?

This is not a spacer issue. As I said in the email, the axle itself is too thick on the right side to allow the wheel to center - and it's the correct 3/4" size inside the hub (goes through fine). One answer would be to machine down the "shoulder" on the right/clamp side of the axle and use a spacer on the left/disc side - but I doubt this should be necessary, as many people would have to use this wheel for their install. I don't think there's anything I can pull out of the wheel hub to allow the axle to go farther in. (I'm talking about no more than 1/2" more travel.)

TIA

Old 04-14-2009, 10:48 PM
Filmy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I found out the answer to my above question, I'll add it here for future searches.

First of all, I discovered that I was sold a 21" Wide-Glide front wheel - not a "classic chopper wheel" as was stated in the ebay ad. So with the wider hub of the Wide-Glide wheel, my chopper kit axle won't go far enough into the bearing hole.

The Seeger chopper kit creates a 39mm tube "Wide Glide" front end, but utilizes the "narrow-glide" front wheel (either 19" or 21"). As such, Seeger manufactures their own front axle, machined to delete the right-side axle spacer (which is why I can't get the wheel far enough over to the right side on his axle). The kit also uses a left-side brake rotor spacer which attaches to either size wheel. Seeger says I can use a stock Wide-Glide axle with my Wide-Glide wheel, but will have to add an axle spacer on the right-hand bearing side, plus a spacer for the brake rotor (something like 3/8" - or, spacer the brake caliper away from the fork tube that same amount).

Bottom line is I still need a 21" laced narrow-glide front wheel (pre '2000).

I'd like to add that Kurt Seeger (yes, the kit designer himself) was incredibly nice and helpful over the phone, to someone (me) who was asking questions about a product he'd already sold to someone else. Great customer service! Demon Cycles on ebay, on the other hand... not so much.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:56 PM
kahaone
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Filmy
Demon Cycles on ebay, on the other hand... not so much.

Yea, it sucks getting burned, and they are pros at it!